When running the Database merge utility, I get the following error message:
Destination Database (default_cat.mdb) - Invalid catalog table(s) _PINLIST, B_, M_, OL found in the destination database
I've also tried this in the other direction, reversing the source and destination database assignments; this yielded the same message, only it was the source db in this case with the error. I can perhaps understand the routine "bawking" at the custom B_ and M_ tables, but the _PINLIST and OL are "canned" and common to both.
Note: I've modified the "aceDbMergeUtil.map" file [Table Map] entries somewhat for our situation, but see no indication in how this might be affecting the process. I also ran a repair on the database in question prior. Any ideas on how one might try getting around this problem would be appreciated.
Also, is it customary to merge the New to the Old default_cat.mdb or vice versa? Will the new table column17 (WDBLKMNAM) be inserted into the tables if migrated in either direction?
Problem Solved… I’m not database expert, but when I went in to scrutinize the tables in question, I discovered the following discrepancies that caused the problems (error message):
OL, B_ and M_ tables: The problem here was that the “(AutoNumber)” entry that normally appears at the empty record location at the bottom of the table in the RECNUM column was actually located in one of the table records. To fix, I renamed each of these tables, copied and pasted the structure only from a known good table in each case and reassigned the original table names to these. I then copied the contents from the “defective” (renamed) tables to the like new one.
_PINLIST table: Apparently the RECNUM column needed to be located as the first column as opposed to the last as it was in the earlier version of the database. Also, some columns were not present in the earlier versions that were in the new database. To fix, I renamed the _PINLIST table in the old database temporarily and copied the table structure from the new database to the old. I then cut and pasted the old records from the renamed table into the new _PINLIST table.
The routine then ran without a hitch with no “failed” occurances during the migration process.
A NOTE for those few who may be merging the catalog database from 2005 with their customized catalog database for use in 2004 because they are staying with ACADE 2004 temporarily:
Among some of the differences between the pinlist table in 2004 and the one in 2005, the 2004 version uses some abbreviated field names such as CAT and MFG, while they are completely spelled out in 2005. If you use the procedure mentioned in this thread for merging the two catalogs, you will end up with a 2005 compatible pinlist. However, ACADE 2004 will not be able to access the pinlist table.
To use the newly merged catalog with 2004, you should take the extra step of using Access to rename the pinlist table in the newly merged database, copy a 2004 pinlist table into the newly merged database, and then overwrite the data in the 2004 pinlist table with the data from the renamed 2005 pinlist table, which can then be deleted. (If you followed the merge procedure mentioned in this thread, you will end up with a pinlist that contains your added pinlists from 2004 or earlier, plus the new pinlists in the 2005 database.)
BTW, I noticed an error (duplicate pin number) in the 2004 pinlist that has been corrected in the 2005 pinlist.