AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ACADE 2015 not letting me switch windows while a command is active.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
pqphillips
377 Views, 4 Replies

ACADE 2015 not letting me switch windows while a command is active.

Okay, in the new installation of AutoCAD Electrical, I'm experiencing a strange and, frankly, annoying phenomenon.

If I am in the middle of a wire command, I am unable to switch to another tab in Electrical under any circumstances.

If I am in the middle of another command and switch to another drawing within the same session of AutoCAD for any reason, then come back, the command is cancelled, as if I had pressed the ESC key (this also happens in Vanilla AutoCAD). I also know that it isn't just my computer that does this, as this seems to be a problem across the board.

Does anyone have a clue how to rectify this situation?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
drathak
in reply to: pqphillips

@pqphillips wrote:

Okay, in the new installation of AutoCAD Electrical, I'm experiencing a strange and, frankly, annoying phenomenon.

If I am in the middle of a wire command, I am unable to switch to another tab in Electrical under any circumstances.

If I am in the middle of another command and switch to another drawing within the same session of AutoCAD for any reason, then come back, the command is cancelled, as if I had pressed the ESC key (this also happens in Vanilla AutoCAD). I also know that it isn't just my computer that does this, as this seems to be a problem across the board.

Does anyone have a clue how to rectify this situation?

Generally speaking any command only works on the active drawing.  When you try to switch drawings (tabs) you will almost always cancel the command in progress.  AutoCAD has always worked that way to my knowledge.  

--------------
Joe Weaver
Principle Associate Engineer - Nashville Electric Service
P&C Committee Chair – SDS Industry Consortium
Message 3 of 5
pqphillips
in reply to: drathak

No, it's always been able to keep a command active. One of our clients has even developed a LISP routine that takes advantage of this ability to create a cross-reference between drawings. It's part of an independently developed set of LISP routines that basically do the same thing as ACADE, but without the smart capabilities or the ability to auto-update (and they refuse to go to ACADE under any circumstances, even though it does everything they want and more, but I digress...).

That said, the fact that you've always had it automatically cancel a command tells me that this might actually be a system setting or something that has had the default value changed. I HOPE it's that simple.

Message 4 of 5
Ziglift
in reply to: pqphillips

I am having the same problem after upgrading from AutoCAD LT 2013 to 2020 LT. I used to press CTRL + TAB between drawings while a command would remain active. Now it cancels my commands before switching over. This happens whether I use the keyboard shortcut or  the "Window" drop-down menu.

I know this is an old thread, but I have been unable to find a solution. Plenty of people acknowledge the problem, but no solutions yet.

Message 5 of 5
pendean
in reply to: Ziglift

AutoCADLT forum is over here https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-lt/ct-p/2000

Start your own post, and list exactly which commands and how everyone can replicate the issue.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost