AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ACADE 2013 Network Deployment

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
Doug.Work
572 Views, 21 Replies

ACADE 2013 Network Deployment

Hey folks.  Im running into a slight problem (ok.  nto so slight, but you get the idea).  I recently installed a network deployment of ACADE 2013, and went through some growing pains with it to get make sure everythign was working (libraries/environment files/etc).  Got it fixed, and working, until....

The guy who's computer this is is now experiencing a situation.  When he rt clicks on a block, and attempts to 'edit component', ACADE screams at him, giving him this message:  'extracting item numbers in use...; error:quit/exit abort'

Not entirely sure WHY he's getting this message, as we don't use item numbers in any of our projects.  COuld there be some setting i missed on the deployment that is causign the issue?  By way of comparison, the other machien I did this to (network deployment) works fine, and is not having this issue.  Also, when he was previously using ACADE 10 (hence the upgrade...) he didnt have these issues...

Any ideas?

Thanks again

Doug

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
rhesusminus
in reply to: Doug.Work

I would suggest a reinstall. Maybe not the solution you were looking for....

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 3 of 22
jalger

Hi Doug,

Sometimes The Anti-virus can cause you loads of Problems (it may have had a slight issue when installing).

The item numbers are automatically created and stored for use with the Panel (it doesn't matter if you use them or not it generates them)

Before doing a Complete re-install you can check /try a few things.

1. Check to make sure the support paths Exist and are Local to the computer. The Users path MUST be on the Machine that is using AutoCAD.

(C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\AutoCAD Electrical 2014\R19.1\enu\Support\User)

2. Check to see if the issue is only with one project

( its unlikely you would see the issue in WDDemo so try that project if the same error message pops up it is not project based)

if it is just on one project blow away the project database (in the users section same path as above) and try it again.

3.Repair the Installation ( it takes 5 minutes on newer versions of ACADE, vs the 35 minutes to re-install)

If the Issue Still remains, then unfortunately you will have to un-install the product. ( like rhesusminus Suggested)

I recommend that you disable the Anti-Virus on the server (with network deployment) AND the Computer that you are installing to.

Anti-Virus Programs make the installation twice as long (its checking EVERY file), and it hangs on some of the exes, and dlls that are used in AutoCAD.

(and in some cases it messes up the files on installation!)

I hope this helps,

James 

James Alger
(I'm on several hundred posts as "algerj")

Work:
Dell Precision 5530 (Xeon E 2176M)
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro P2000, Win10
Message 4 of 22
Doug.Work
in reply to: rhesusminus

Heres another wierd issue...  On the network deployment on my machine, everything is workign fine.  No issues.

for the second machine, 'catalog check' locks up the machine.  Well, not critically, but nothing happens.  I can 'esc' out, and close the dialog box, but there is no indication as to what is happening.  

I ended up removing the network deployment, and making a local installation, and the problem remains.  Leads me to believe there is somethign with either the system, but its a new computer, and everything else works fine.  

So, to recap:  Ona  fresh, brand new install of AutoCAD 2013, when I 'edit component', the 'catalog check' button isn't working.  'lookup' works fine, and I can add data from the database, but the '...check' button does nothing.

Any ideas?  Thsi is getting frustrating...

Thanks again

Doug

Message 5 of 22
jalger

Hi Doug,

Here are a couple of things to Try.

1. Apply the latest Service pack (SP2 I believe for 2013)

2. Clear out the windows Temp location (%temp%)

3. Repair the Project database (or copy the database over from the working Computer) (Deafult_Cat.mdb)

4. Type in "AEREBUILDDB" select full Rebild (test out the command)

5. Blow away the Project Database, (make sure the AutoCAD Elecrical is shutdown) start ACADE let it regen the Project database (only if the AE Rebuild fails)

6. Reset the AutoCAD Electrical Defaults (Back to RTM Paths) ( using "Reset Setting to Default" in the windows Menu where AutoCAD Electrical is.)

If you need any Screenshots or something is unclear, please let me know.

Regards,

James  

James Alger

Work:
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Message 6 of 22
rhesusminus

The wierd issue...

Are you comfortable using the registry editor?

The Catalog Check dialog might just be  out-of-screen.

In the registry editor go to (AutoCAD Electrical 2014... Look for something similar on other versions):

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R19.1\ACAD-D007:409\Ace_quick_bom

Set both nTopLeftX3 and nTopLeftY3 to 0, and try the catalog check again.

I've seen this a lot of times, especially when using multiple screens, and then go back to a single screen. You should always work on the primary screen with AcadE when you use multiple monitors 🙂

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 7 of 22
jalger

Hi Doug,

You can also use: Alt + Space then type M and hit enter (If you don't like messing around in the registry) 

And Use your Arrows to Move a Window thats off screen. (if you think this is the issue)

Regards,

James

James Alger

Work:
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Message 8 of 22
Doug.Work
in reply to: jalger

That worked!!  Thank you.  However, next time i use the 'catalog check' button, it will move it randomly aroudn the screen.  Sometimes it is hidden again (the alt + space) works for it, other times its off screen, but i can still a portion of it.  In the past, when i have run into similar (catalog not where I want it) it will reload on other uses in the previous spot.  How can I set the default, or make it reload in last spot?

Doug

Message 9 of 22
jalger

Hi Doug,

It should place the Screen where it was last when you exit the software. (which is why its so much fun switching between single and dual screens ... Smiley Happy  )

The Fix in the registry that rhesusminus Suggested should work, it resets the Default Location back to 0,0.

The Alt Space method works for Visable or non-visalbe windows (and works in any windows based program).

... But Save a copy of the regisrty before you make the change Just incase...

I hope this helps,

James

James Alger

Work:
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Message 10 of 22
Doug.Work

For whatever reason, it DOESN'T save the location.  It must be something in the settings on the computer.  I'll have to investigate it...

Message 11 of 22
Doug.Work

Ok.  I did a clean network deployment of ACADE 2013 on an older machine (relative term, but you get the gist) that is running ACADE 2014.  With 2014, my 'catalog check' screen appears where it last was positioned.  With 2013, it doesn't.  It resets the registry setting to some place off in the void.  Its not a critical issue, but it IS crazy inconvenient.

Anyone know a way to fix this permanently?  I am going through the settings in 2014 and comparing them to 2013 right now, maybe there is some setting i can modify to set that right.  *shrug*

Doug

Message 12 of 22
rhesusminus

Are you able to edit the setting via regedit?
there might be an access-control for those registry keys set via group policys, by your IT department.

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Message 13 of 22
Doug.Work

I can edit the values in editor, btu they dont become static at all.  As an example, i installed it on the other machine just now, and it works (YAY!  FINALLY!).  However, the catalog check dialog box will pop up at random points on the display.  Sometimes off to the right, off to the left, OFF the screen.  The times I can grab it and move it, I do, but it doesn't reappear there.  It continues on it wayward wanderings.

The user is aware of the issue, and that I am researching fixes, so he he knows how to make it appear and move it to where he wants it.  I'd just like to make to so he DOESN'T have to do that, you know?

Message 14 of 22
rhesusminus

This i really weird.

When you open and close that dialog, do the values in regedit change? (Press F5 to refresh in regedit)

You CAN right-click the key in regedit, and set read-only permissions for those keys, but I wouldn't reccommend that...

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Message 15 of 22
Doug.Work

Yeah, it (the registry) updates with the new coordinates.  I'm nto positive if its before or after I re-open the dialog box, but that isn't a huge issue.  The issue is WHY its not keeping a static value...

Message 16 of 22
jalger

Hi Doug,

I have heard of a virus that does something similar to this..

I would run a full scan on the computer, just to be on the safe side. Also check for Adware and Malware. 

The value MIGHT change once when you first login (it should reset to the center of the main screen) but it shouldn't reset all the time.

I hope this helps,

James 

James Alger

Work:
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Message 17 of 22
jalger

Hi Doug,

One more thing i wanted to check.

What version of windows are you using?

Windows 8.1 isn't really stable with AutoCAD (or any program for that matter, sorry windows).

if you are using 8.1 downgrade back to windows 8 which is supported and is more stable.

I hope this helps,

James

James Alger

Work:
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Message 18 of 22
Doug.Work

Win 7, latest updates.  As for virus/malware:  I ruled that out, due to it being a new machine (brand new), and there being no issues with the dialog box on ACADE 2014 or 2010.  That and I DID run scans for both, just in case.

Message 19 of 22
rhesusminus

Are you running AcadE 2010 and 2014 on this computer also?

32-bit or 64-bit W7?

Just wondering... Do the values in the registry change when you enter the dialog, or when you exit the dialog?

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Message 20 of 22
Doug.Work

We have 3 machiens running ACADE in various forms.  1 is running 2013 & 2014 64-bit (comp A).  1 runs just 2013 64-bit (comp B), and the old one runs 2010 32-bit (comp C).  (dual monitors in all cases)

Comp A-  2013 the 'catalog check' dialog box moves around, seemingly at random.  When I open the dialog box, and have reg editor open, I can (by pressing F5) see the coordinates change.  The dialog box will then appear wherever the coordinates tell it to.  If I set them to 0,0, it will place the dialog box in top left corner (0,0).  I can move it around to where I want it, but it doesn't appear there when I close it and re-open it.  This also happens on Comp B.  For 2014, I have no issues with this dialog box.  It opens where it last was opened.

Comp B - (see Comp A above, minus 2014 information)

Comp C - When the box is opened, and moved, it returns to it's initial placement.  EVERY time.

In both cases of 2013, its a network deployment, where 2010 & 2014 are local deployments.

About the only I haven't checked yet is the registry on the server itself.  Maybe there is something in there that will explain whats going on.  Or, if I reset it, perhaps it will correct the issue.  I just don't know how much of the software runs from the server.  Does the server strictly read the data files, and the software is installed locally, meaning no registry information on the network?

Doug

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost