AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ACADE 2011 sluggish on certain drawings

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
sethtriad
794 Views, 4 Replies

ACADE 2011 sluggish on certain drawings

Hey everybody, I'm having an issue with AutoCAD Electrical 2011.  When I open a certain drawing, autocad becomes sluggish and laggy.  When I move my cursor, zoom in/out, or make a selection, the cursor/view port stutters.  This only happens on one drawing I'm working on.  When I go to make changes (move, poly-line, extend/trim, etc.) the issue goes away, but once I finish the modification, the lagging continues.  What could be causing this and how can I fix it?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Icemanau
in reply to: sethtriad

Several things to try....

Using Electrical Commands there is the following set of commands

Under the Reports selection in Projects (2--8 release so might be in a different location in 2013), there are several Audit functions. Run each of those over the dwg in question. They will check the dwg for several problems in relation to electrical functionality.

Using Standard ACAD commands *note that you will have to run a FULL project rebuild after some of these*

Run the Purge command on the Dwg. Get's rid of unused items from the dwg and tends to make the file smaller.

Under the File menu there is the standard ACAD dwg Audit. Will fix some problems with dwg corruption and setup conflicts.

All else fails, Create a new dwg, Copy and Paste the contents of the problem dwg in to the new one. Delete the problem dwg, then rename the new dwg to the same file name as the one you just deleted. THIS ONE WILL REQUIRE A FULL REBUILD OF THE PROJECT BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELSE.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman
AutoCAD Electrical User and IT Hardware Support

Message 3 of 5
rhesusminus

I love problems like this. Post the DWG-file here (or in a PM), and I'll take a look.

As Brad writes, there could be lots of reasons for this behaviour.

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 4 of 5
sethtriad

The problem with this drawing, as far as electrical functionality goes, is that the drawing isn't an electrical drawing, per se.  The drawing is a single-line diagram detailing conduit layouts between different devices (meters, pumps, temperature probes, etc.) and all these conduits are drawin using the LINE tool.  I've tried purging the drawing but there's still is an issue with lag.  

Also, because this drawing is for an oil/gas pipeline company, and the company in question is very strict about letting information out, I could get into some trouble if they, or my boss, finds out I've posted this information (the dwg file itself) online. 

Message 5 of 5
Icemanau

OK. You can't post the dwg due to security issues.

Seeing as this is not a ACADE smart dwg, you won't need to rebuild the project.

Did you try the standard ACAD Audit command?

What about cut and pasting the contents to a new dwg? You will need to remove the old dwg from the project and add the new dwg but this wouldn't take all that long.

Depending on how complex the dwg is, you may find it easier to just redraw the entire thing.

Other than that, you may be on your own due to those security restrictions.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman
AutoCAD Electrical User and IT Hardware Support

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost