AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Acade 2011... Oh well

26 REPLIES 26
Message 1 of 27
DBrohm
626 Views, 26 Replies

Acade 2011... Oh well

Once more we have a version of Acade that does not work correctly out of the box, so for the third release in a row I am, not so patiently, waiting for SP1, to be released with the hopes that the problems will go away as a result. I know I am going to be asked what issues have I had and I will happily update this thread when I get back to the office as I have been making a list. But I wanted to get the ball rolling to see if we can get a fix sooner rather than later relatively speaking. The fix for the mess that was 2010, in my humble opinion, took far too long. So from memory;

Projects that were done using 2008, 2009, 2010, when pulling them up into 2011 the drawing list for inst codes is blank, but the "project" list shows them all. I have had issues with the parts look-up database, I too use a custom database one I have used from 2008 through to 2010. I had to make one minor alteration when 2009 came out but ultimately was able to get all three versions to access, reliably, my "Misc_Cat" table in my version of the default_cat database. Acade 2011 has difficulties with it; every time I access it with 2011 I have to retell it where to look, settings are fine in the projects, these variables have not changed from version to version as I set standards a long time ago. With each new version that is the first thing I verify; do my standards still work or do I need to revise them some. The “OK” button never activates in the database, I have to double click each individual catalog item to select it. I find that I get a large number of crashes such that 2011 shuts down and I need t restart it as well.

As I said I have been compiling a list, and when I am back in my office I will update this thread. Of note though I was running XP Pro SP3, just recently dropped back to SP2 to see if that makes a difference, I will report on that as well. Finally, in a further attempt to isolate the source of trouble with 2011, I have just recently installed it on my home computer which is running Windows 7, who knows maybe that will make a difference.

As frustrating as I find these issues they no longer really upset me, that is simply due to the fact that I had problems with 2007; tried to run it on Windows 2000 result; lockups, crashes, problems constantly. Upgraded to XP Pro those problems went away. I had problems out of the box, as it were with 2009, and with 2010, and now 2011. In my opinion 2008 was, and remains, the most stable, the most reliable, and therefore the most effective version of Acade created thus far. In a lot of ways it’s too bad that the developers couldn’t leave well enough alone and just improve 2008. Unfortunately they had to revamp the software, come up with new features that, while they have promise, fall far short in delivering on those promises. Oh well hope springs eternal.
26 REPLIES 26
Message 21 of 27
RMichaud
in reply to: DBrohm

I just tried this myself (thanks for the tip). Oddly enuogh it isn't crashing even though the SDI value was already at 0, I entered 0 and tried the typical crash rutine of vaulting my project and they actually vaulted....no crash. No crash for changing the sheet values in the project properties dialog box either. More testing to ensue here.
Ron
Ronald Michaud
Electrical Engineer
Darly Custom Technology Inc.
www.darlytech.com
Via Lite V3 thru ACADE 2011
Message 22 of 27
bludwitzke

Pat,

I zipped up a package for you to analyze. Hopefully you will get it via email. I guess I can only public share links one file at a time, and not a whole folder. If you join drop box (free account) you could access the folder. Sorry about that. The zip file is about 8M.

Bruce
Message 23 of 27
RMichaud

Still crashing using project manager. Gonna do a reinstall from the CD set.
Ronald Michaud
Electrical Engineer
www.darlytech.com
Message 24 of 27
RMichaud

Working fine now. I uninstalled the Vault client and server (from downloaded versions) and reinstalled them (from cd set). I ran the repair for the application of ACADE 2011. No crashing so far.
Ronald Michaud
Electrical Engineer
www.darlytech.com
Message 25 of 27
bludwitzke

I ran 2011 all day today, with fairly extensive use and it did not crash once. SDI=0. Knock on wood! We will see how it goes on Monday.

Catalog database access however was slower again, but we are still testing our file path structure.

Bruce
Message 26 of 27
bludwitzke

Still running with SDI=0 and no crashes.
Message 27 of 27
DBrohm

Well so far some "good" news.... our friends within Autodesk's technical support group have been able to duplicate one of my concerns. Specifically the accessibility of the "Misc_Cat" data table in the Parts lookup function. Without going into a great deal of detail, due to limitations, as a result of our desire to link my company's erp database (MS Access) with Acade, I had taken the company's database and was using it in Acade I had named it Misc_Cat as outlined, if you will, in the Project properties. The problem is that even though I might be editing an existing drawing the Misc_Cat table would not come up in the "Table" pull down list top centre of the Parts Lookup dialog window, I would have to "look" for it. Cause of this has been identified as a result of our "Misc_Cat" table was named using a mix of upper, and lower, case characters. When reworked to be "MISC_CAT" that part works, this is an obvious change from past versions as with 2008, 2009, and 2010 this issue didn't exist. What still doesn't work, cause of which has yet to be identified, is the "OK" button. As long as there are other data tables (CR, AM, MS etc.) to use the "OK" button is active and usable. However, when using our MISC_CAT the "OK" button is grayed out and not active, to select a part the part must be double clicked. This has also been duplicated by the tech people just, as I indicated previously, not determined why as yet. Score one for the Tech people at Autodesk and for my sanity.

Thanks to you Pat and the Tech group for the assistance thus far.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost