AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Acad Electrical 13 - changing Reference Line Number Text Font Size

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
carlmerk
3749 Views, 16 Replies

Acad Electrical 13 - changing Reference Line Number Text Font Size

Hello,

First timer. How do you increase the text size for the line numbers in a schematic.

I only have 25 lines but the font is to small to read

Thanks

Carl

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Icemanau
in reply to: carlmerk

Two ways to fix it....

Non permenant fix is to go to the attribute dialog and select size. Put in the size you require and then select the "Type It'

mode. Now type in WIRE*.

This will go through the dwg and change all occurencences of wire* to the size requested. NOTE you will need to go through and adjust the inline wire gaps if you have wire numbers embedded into the wire.

The permenant fix is to actually edit the blocks used for the wire numbers. Just select all the attributes in the centre of the block and set them to the font and size you require. Save the blocks and update them throughout the project.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman
AutoCAD Electrical User and IT Hardware Support

Message 3 of 17
testsubject
in reply to: Icemanau

Carl,

If the line numbers are too small, you need to check the the Feature Scale Multiplier located  by Right Clicking on the drawing in the project list and selecting

Properties\Drawing Properties\Drawing Format Tab.

It should look like this if you are using jic (area in red rectangle)

DP.jpg

I tried with setting the FSM to 0.1 and the line numbers became very small.

I have noticed that if you are working with a drawing that was originally set up for IEC and then switch to jic, something like this happens.

What drawing style are you using?

It would help if you post a copy of the drawing you are using for us to look at...

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 4 of 17
carlmerk

Thanks for the quick responses. Here are some screen shots of the problem

Example #1- The numbers are properly sized for B size border

acad1.png

Example #2 - Here is what they look like with a D size / text to small

acad2.png

Not sure how to increase text

Just dusted off my old VIA/WD from years ago / looks like this is all based on the WD

Carl

Message 5 of 17
testsubject

Carl,

If you were to print out the B-Size and D-Size print (fule scale) you will probably notice that the text is the same size. It will appear smaller if you print the D-Size on a B-Size sheet.

The line number will not be your only problem. All the symbols will have this problem. You can try using the jic125 library but I do not think it will be large enough.

Ace works very well on B-Size prints. If you want everything to be legible when a D-Size print is printed on a B-Size sheet, you will need to double the Feature Scale of all the symbols. If you were to do that though, you would not be able to fit more symbols on the sheet; you would have just made everything bigger and would have been better off doing everything on a B-Size print anyway.

Just my 0.02...

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 6 of 17
carlmerk
in reply to: testsubject

Bob,

I am going to try to change the STANDARD to B - size here at a-i. This has been the standard at other companies I have worked for.

Thanks for you help

Carl

Message 7 of 17
btackes

The size of the reference numbers is based on the WD_MLRH or WD_MLRV block attribute size.  You can also use an optional WD_MLRHX or WD_MLRVX block.

PER Help file:

WD_M.dwg

Block insert consisting of about 50 invisible attributes. They carry the settings of the drawing.

WD_PNLM.dwg

Optional block insert consisting of several invisible attributes. They carry the settings of the drawing for panel layout functions.

WD_MLRH.dwg

Block insert that carries the first line reference number of a ladder and additional information such as rung spacing and ladder length.

WD_MLRV.dwg

Same as previous symbol, but for a ladder that lies on its side.

WD_MLRHX.dwg

Optional, user-defined alternative to WD_MLRH.dwg. AutoCAD Electrical uses this symbol name when you select 'User Block' from the Line Reference Numbers subdialog box of the Drawing Properties > Drawing Format dialog box (on the Drawing Properties > Drawing Format dialog box, Format Referencing section, select Reference Numbers and click Setup).

WD_MLRVX.dwg

Same as previous symbol, but for a ladder that lies on its side.

NoteThe ladder line reference block used by AutoCAD Electrical is determined by the ladder reference configuration selected in the Format Referencing section of the Drawing Properties > Drawing Format dialog box.
Message 8 of 17
controlsgirl
in reply to: btackes

Thanks testsubject and btackes!! I was having a similar problem with my numbers being too large. I figured out that changing the feature scale helped but I really wanted to know why it was doing this as I jumped from old drawings created in regular ACAD, I believe. 

Message 9 of 17
controlsgirl

Is there a fast an easy way that I could change the line reference numbers from one style to another ie hexagon to just a simple 5 digit number? When I delete the ladder lines, purge, change the drawing configuration, and then insert, it is hard to place the references in the same spot as they were before.

Message 10 of 17
mwilsonNFZXC

I know this is late, but it's funny you should say it's from ViaWD...  Well, AcadE IS via WD.  History.

There was a Company called Aceri (still exists) owned by Dr. Pedro Puig.  There was another company owned by a Bob Noftle.  They both had electrical addon packages for Autocad years ago.

Bob had one called Wire Diagram (WD).  He also had a product called TOOLBOX for solidworks.  It was the first package solidworks bought.  He TRIED to sell them WD as well but they didn't know what to do with it.

Bob sold WD to Via Development.  Via had Via Schematic and Via Schematic Jr.  WD became Via WD.  Eventually, Via sold this to Autodesk and it became autocad electrical.  You can STILL see some of the commands left over in earlier versions of AcadE.  They've been updated to use the AE names (like AELADDER, etc.)

As a result, Autodesk dropped support for competing products and Aceri stopped development.

INTERESTING part of this...   Bob and Dr. Puig now work with Trace Groupe' out of France.  Bob is president of Trace Parts Online, they host over 50% of 3D content center in SolidWorks.  Dr. Puig is VP of Trace Software and they now have a produce called Elecworks which is also licensed as Solidworks Electrical and a very LIMITED version is licenses and Design Spark Electrical (FREE.)

It was a fun time working with the elecworks/swe team for more than a few years..  😉

Message 11 of 17
TRLitsey
in reply to: controlsgirl

Hi Controlsgirl,

As to the sheet/line ref. is this what you are looking for? 

Right click on the drawing to make change to single drawing, or right click on active project title.

Select Properties.

Select Drawing Format tab.

Select Setup... button.

PS - If there is a way to update the 'style' maybe someone can chime in with that trick.  I usually delete then reinsert with the new style.

Hope this helps, Please mark as a solution if this works for you, kudos are always welcome.

Good luck

Screenshot - 5_25_2016 , 7_55_20 AM.png

Please mark as a solution if this works for you, kudos are always welcome
Message 12 of 17
karen.valentine
in reply to: TRLitsey

This sets the font on the lines the right size, but not for 'numbers only'... how do you do it without including the sheet number?

Tags (1)
Message 13 of 17
TRLitsey
in reply to: karen.valentine

Hi there,  is this what you are looking for?

Screenshot - 6_9_2016 , 8_34_16 AM.png

Rung insert looks like this

Screenshot - 6_9_2016 , 8_36_09 AM.png

Message 14 of 17
TRLitsey
in reply to: karen.valentine

By the way, when it says 'in hexigon' it means the number is inside a hexigon graphic, not hex number base, lol

Message 15 of 17
controlsgirl

@TRLitsey That is what I do not want to have to do. I would like it to be to change in place like doing a symbol replacement.

Message 16 of 17
TRLitsey
in reply to: controlsgirl

Now I see what you are asking.  Someone may have a clever trick but I am sorry, I do not.  I think I have seen this question before and what the issue is that only the first instance of the sheet / line reference is an attribute that can be updated as you are trying to do.  The sheet / line references that follow the attribute(s) are generated as plan text.  They will not automatically update when the first attribute is modified.

You might want to post this as a new topic. Like I said, someone in the community may have worked out a slick trick or even some kind of lisp or script to do the job.

I am on Win 7 ACE 2014, later versions may be different.

Thank you – Good luck

Please mark this as a solution if it works for you, kudos are always welcome

Message 17 of 17
karen.valentine

TRLitsey ::   Actually, I was looking for this...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost