AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2015 electrical panel footprint insert

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
667 Views, 6 Replies

2015 electrical panel footprint insert

Could someone tell me if there is an option to turn off the scaling and rotation before the image of the footprint appears on the cursor?  What I have going on is when I place from the icon menu it will ask me for the y scaling and then a rotation.  The panel footprint will appear and then ask me for the rotation again.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
PatMurnen_Adsk
in reply to: Anonymous

I am unable to reproduce this at my end. When I pick something from the panel icon menu, I enter in a catalog value, then it appears on my cursor and prompts for a location. Once I click this location it does ask me for Rotation and I hit Enter.

Can you upload your icon menu .dat file and provide your exact steps? I want to make sure it isn't an issue with the command in the icon menu itself.

Regards,

Pat Murnen

Pat Murnen
Principal Content Developer
Product Development – AutoCAD Product Line Group

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: PatMurnen_Adsk

The .dat file is attached.  This happens when you click on browse and go get a file from the network.  It prompts me for the scale and rotation.  Then you see the image then it asks for scale and rotation again.

Thank you for your help

Message 4 of 7
PatMurnen_Adsk
in reply to: Anonymous

It looks like this is a result from using the Browse button right on the main icon menu window. Some background to explain - inserting panel footprints uses various commands to tell AutoCAD Electrical what type of panel component it is, i.e. component footprint, terminal footprint, or nameplate. When you use the Browse right on the main menu it isn't using one of these special commands and ends up with those extra prompts.

A couple of ways to resolve this -

1. Pick a component on the icon menu (same type as the one you want to browse to), let the next dialog come up where under Option B you have a Browse option. This bypasses the extra prompts and the last dialog where you have to say if it is a Footprint, Terminal, or Nameplate.

2. If you use the symbols a lot I would add them to the icon menu using the Icon Menu wizard. There are different commands depending on whether you want to be prompted for a rotation at all. So adding it to the icon menu you can streamline it even more. You can even add the catalog information to the icon menu so it is added during insertion. The Help topic, To Work With the Icon Menu Wizard, has a section about adding a command.

Regards,

Pat Murnen

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 7
broth
in reply to: PatMurnen_Adsk

@Anonymous wrote:

It looks like this is a result from using the Browse button right on the main icon menu window. Some background to explain - inserting panel footprints uses various commands to tell AutoCAD Electrical what type of panel component it is, i.e. component footprint, terminal footprint, or nameplate. When you use the Browse right on the main menu it isn't using one of these special commands and ends up with those extra prompts.

A couple of ways to resolve this -

1. Pick a component on the icon menu (same type as the one you want to browse to), let the next dialog come up where under Option B you have a Browse option. This bypasses the extra prompts and the last dialog where you have to say if it is a Footprint, Terminal, or Nameplate.

2. If you use the symbols a lot I would add them to the icon menu using the Icon Menu wizard. There are different commands depending on whether you want to be prompted for a rotation at all. So adding it to the icon menu you can streamline it even more. You can even add the catalog information to the icon menu so it is added during insertion. The Help topic, To Work With the Icon Menu Wizard, has a section about adding a command.

Regards,

Pat Murnen

It's clear that the  'insert from the browse button' function no longer works correctly. I should not be asked for scaling or rotation, especially when I am prompted for a 2nd time for the object rotation. This is, again, something broken that should be fixed. I would suggest that autodesk spend the next release cycle on fixing all of the items that are broken, or that detract from the functionality of the software, stop changing the user interface in ways that do not contribute to increased productivity, and make it stable.

Message 6 of 7
PatMurnen_Adsk
in reply to: broth

broth,

You are correct, the Browse button on the Panel Icon menu is not working as expected. I have made sure it is logged. Hopefully, you can use my previous suggestions so you don't need to use the Browse very often. I do apologize for the inconvenience.

If you have other things you would like to send me that are not working you can email me the list at pat.murnen@autodesk.com. I will make sure they get logged.

Regards,

Pat Murnen 

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 7

I am with a client this week who is having this very problem.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost