AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2015 CATALOG BROWSER "IMPROVEMENT"?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
rcreel
603 Views, 10 Replies

2015 CATALOG BROWSER "IMPROVEMENT"?

Hi Folks,

I have been startting to play around with 2015 to see if it is worth upgrading. One of the issues I have found is the new look and behavior of the catalog browser.

For instance, in 2014 if the browser opened, and I found that I did not want a component from the defined default, I could easily change manufacturere, types, or ratings from the drop down boxes----or even clear the entire filter field. Now, I don't see that option. Is there a way to get 2015 cat. browser to have this functionality again, or am I stuck with this "improvement"?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
dougmcalexander
in reply to: rcreel

Catalog Browser is really nice, but you have to spend some time in Help learning it.  Preselect the device type first, from the dropdown list (i.e. CB, CR, LT, PB, etc.).  

Let's say you select PB.  Type into the search box any filter criteria you wish and click the magifier icon at the right.  If you put the text in quotes (i.e. "30.5mm") you only see 30.5mm pushbuttons.  If you type in AB 30.5mm RED, you will see all records that include AB, 30.5mm and RED.  If you type in AB, you only see AB components.  If you type in and search for 30.5mm RED, you will only see records for all manufacturers who sell 30.5mm RED pushbuttons.

Hint: Each search string you enter is saved, so the next time you wish to search for the same type of component, just click the arrow at the right of the search field to select from previous search strings.  If you ever want to clear your search history, delete the following file:

C:\Users\{Your User Name}\AppData\Local\IsolatedStorage\bddq4gim.ust\rkxexbjr.qmd\Url.bit1plk2pr2oqaao31yhv31vjmnyzkds\AssemFiles\Autodesk.Electrical.SharedControl.Config.xml

* The long string of folder names that appear as gibbersh in bold red above are randomly generated by the software, so they will most likely be named differently on your PC.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 11
OP21

Hard to say why the filtering functionality was removed...

IMO the AE2014 "way" of searching/filtering and editing catalog data was great. The 2015 version requires you to "manually enter" your search criteria... a step backwards for sure.

Maybe it will be re-examined/improved for 2016?

Hope this helps!
Omar

P.S. If this did help you, remember to "Accept as Solution", so the answer can help others. "LIKES" are always welcomed and much appreciated! Thank-you.
Message 4 of 11
dougmcalexander

I guess the idea was to make it work more like a Web search engine. But honestly, I like it better. It remembers your last search string, so it saves time when you return to search again. Also, it keeps a running list of your search strings so you just click the drop down arrow to select from your previous search filters. No more checking and unchecking boxes each time you click Lookup. It's faster, once you enter your favorite filter strings.

The more you use it the more it remembers and the less you type. Yes, you have to type in your first search filter string, but then you're done.  The old way, you had to check and uncheck boxes each and every time, or set a favorite search by editing the _LISTBOX_DEF table in the catalog database.  But the _LISTBOX_DEF method locks you into one default search each time, requiring you to check an uncheck boxes if you want something different.  Since the Catalog Browser keeps a running list of your searches, you can change the filter easily by selecting from the dropdown list at the right of the search field. You don't actually need to edit the _LISTBOX_DEF table to change your default search filters.  The last search filters are recalled when you Open the Catalog Browser.  

After using the 2015 Catalog Browser for a while now, I don't want to go back to the old method.  But I do think they should add the Global Search field back, so the Catalog Browser allows us to search all tables for a particular part number.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 5 of 11
OP21
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Having used the "previous" interface, one became quite efficient at searching and editing...  I've been using 2015 since it's release and am slowly working with the new methods...maybe in time...  Version 2015 certainly has a learning curve but I would like to mention that the catalog file is the core of the program so messing with it sometimes a touchy subject, so any "slow-down" in ones work habits can be frustrating... Including migration bugs...

Hope this helps!
Omar

P.S. If this did help you, remember to "Accept as Solution", so the answer can help others. "LIKES" are always welcomed and much appreciated! Thank-you.
Message 6 of 11
dougmcalexander

We're you around when 2011 was released? There was a big overhaul of the Catalog Lookup, compared to 2010. But after we got accustomed to it, we couldn't imagine going back.

Doug McAlexander

Message 7 of 11
OP21

Yes... been using since Via WD v16 around 2003.  I agree it has evolved a lot, hopefully this change will pave the way for more improvements in the releases to come.  Improvements like...

Right clicking the row and adding to favorites so the next time you select a category  you just have to click the "star" button next to the edit button which allows you show your favorites under your component category, this creates a nice short list to select from bypassing the manual text entries.  This is a great time saver!

Hope this helps!
Omar

Message 8 of 11
dougmcalexander

I like it!

Doug McAlexander

Message 9 of 11
rcreel

Doug---I started with 2011, so that browser is all that I have seen

Opavlica---I like the idea of favorites

Like I said previously, I set up the LISTBOX_DEF to default to my most used stuff. Since all of my work is in-house, this is fine 98% of the time; but occaisionaly I would need to switch from "SQD; 30mm; flush mount push button" to "SQD; 30mm; extended guard push button"--for example. Easy to do the check boxes in a case like this.

Message 10 of 11
OP21

Just to be clear, the improvement I mentioned is a feature in AE2015l...  A "favorites list" for each category help improve navigating the interface and help in reducing the amount of manual typing...

I'm with rcreel that the check boxes have their use for quick filtering...

Hope this helps!
Omar

Message 11 of 11
jacquesbenoit

rcreel,

I have the same issue with 2015 and have decided that our company will not upgrade to 2015. I started a thread on this in mid-October and found out that the design team thinks the catalog lookup should be like web search engine. They expect you to type in search criteria to filter and find the part you need.

You can look at some of the resonses here - http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-electrical-general/2015-catalog-editor/td-p/5338651

Jacques

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost