AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2015 BOM UPDATE

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
breierg
1173 Views, 16 Replies

2015 BOM UPDATE

Anyone know why the update existing table is grayed out in the table generation setup window, why cant you update an existing bome in AutoCAD electrical 2015?

Also what happened to being able to search the entire catalog thru the catalog browser?

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
PatMurnen_Adsk
in reply to: breierg

The update existing table still works in AutoCAD Electrical 2015 as long as the existing table is for the same report you are running, same scope (project vs. active drawing), and the same format .set file (or no specific .set file). Also, if the table was originally inserted as "non-updatable" then it won't be seen as a match. This is not changed from 2014. Do you have an existing table within the project that you think it should see as a match but it isn't? Maybe you can send me the drawing and I can take a look, pat.murnen@autodesk.com.

Regarding the catalog browser question - the new browser does not have the ability to search through all catalog tables. This has been logged as something a number of users would like to see put into the catalog browser.

Regards,

Pat Murnen

Pat Murnen
Principal Content Developer
Product Development – AutoCAD Product Line Group

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 17
breierg
in reply to: PatMurnen_Adsk

I still connot get AutoCAD 2015 to update my BOM as 2014 did. For some reason the report format setup keep defaulting back to some strange place..and udating exsisting BOM is non exsistant

oh how I want my 2014 back

Message 4 of 17
PatMurnen_Adsk

When you first insert a table you have 2 options, Insert New and Insert New (Non-Updatable). If you want to be able to update the table later with the Update Existing option then you must choose Insert New the first time the table is inserted. AutoCAD Electrical writes a bunch of xdata on the table itself so it can update it later.

The table on the drawing you posted does not have the xdata needed on it to be updated. It looks like a table that was inserted using the option Insert New (Non-Updatable). See the attached image, table_options.png, showing the options I am talking about.

So, try this. Run a report, do not select a specific format file. Click Put on Drawing and on the Table Generation Setup dialog make sure to select Insert New. Then insert the table. Close out of the report and use the AEXDATA command and select the table to see the xdata added. You should see something like what I am showing in the attached table_xdata.png image. If this xdata is there then run the report again exactly the same way and see if Update Existing is now enabled.

Regards,

Pat Murnen

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 17
breierg

Does this apply to 2014 drawing that already have a BOM, been modified and a BOM update is needed......I need to insert a new BOM to update exsisting drawings?

Message 6 of 17
breierg

Attached is an exsisting drawing,

Tthe AEXDATA is in this table and I still cannot get it to update at the exsisting table format

Message 7 of 17
PatMurnen_Adsk

I looked at the latest drawing you posted and believe I found the reason your table was not updating. Here is what I got when I tried to reproduce at my end. Please tell me if this matches what you are seeing -

1. I ran the report and the Update Existing option was enabled.

2. I left all options on the Table Generation Setup dialog as they were and clicked OK.

3. I looked at the command line and saw there was an error - divide by zero.

So I investigated to see why it was getting this error as I wasn't able to reproduce this on my own drawings. It turns out the error was due to the table style setting. Use the TABLESTYLE command and look at the table style settings for ACE_TABLE_1 (which is the table style used by your existing table). If you select Data from the drop-down and the General tab, the vertical margin is set to 0.00 (not sure how it got that way). If you change this to something greater than 0.00 then I believe the report will be able to successfully update the existing table. See attached image.

There was a change in 2015 to allow you to select a table style when inserting a report table (rather than a bunch of individual settings). So you might consider setting up your own table styles to use for your report tables. It will give you more control over the look. But, make sure to use a value larger than 0.00 for margins. You can set up your table styles on one drawing and use them on any report. On the Table Generation Setup dialog box there is an option to select a table style and browse to a drawing that contains the style you want if it isn't in the list.

I will report this issue as it should not error out when 0.00 is used.

So to sum up, the way it should work -

1. First time you run a report and insert a table, select Insert New.

2. Next time you run the same report the Update Existing option will be enabled.

3. Picking Update Existing updates existing table objects with the current report data.

If you use .set files, then make sure to select the same .set file when you run the report each time as that must match if you want to update an existing table.

Regards,

Pat Murnen

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 17
breierg

Hi Pat

Back in the 2014 days I changed the vertical margin to 0.00 to obtain the cell height I needed (.081). In 2015 the cell height always defaults to .100

Justification is also default to middle center in 2015 as far as I can see, I use middle center for the first two columns and middle left for the next four.

On the drawing attached I deleted the existing BOM, purged the drawing and inserted a new BOM. The BOM comes in with a cell height of .100 and middle center justification. How can I get my .081 cell height and my middle center and middle left justification? I also still get the cant find_wd_post_setting function when trying to remove item line repeats. I can fun the user post but have to select user post “suppress ITEM column repeats” twice the window pops up twice.

I have tried every setting imaginable this all worked perfect in 2014! I’m at a lost as to what to try next. The BOM will update but with some default setting found??

Message 9 of 17
PatMurnen_Adsk

So it sounds like the Update Existing works ok with the vertical margin setting changed from 0.0?

The table row height is based on the table style settings. The text height + 2 times the vertical margin. AutoCAD adds in another 1/3 of the text height to account for letters below the line. You can use this formula to define the tablestyle to get a row height of 0.081. You can have a very small margin just not 0.0 which would cause the text to fall right on the top table line. This is not really changed from 2014 where you set the text height in the Table Generation Setup dialog and the margins in the table style. Now, both are controlled by the tablestyle.

Regarding the justification, I believe this is a known issue. Can you check what service packs you have installed? It may have been related to a service pack.

Your user post question indicates you are trying to use a user post file from a previous version of AutoCAD Electrical. In 2015, the user post framework was updated to allow it to be defined within a .set file so it runs automatically. So, you need to take your user post code and copy it into the new user post file supplied with 2015. If you are not sure how to do this you can post them here and I can copy them in for you.

Regards,

Pat Murnen

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 17
breierg

Pat,

Update exsisting does not work the data is updated but the format is different and it seems only one update is possible. The vertical margin set at a small amount still produces a cell height of .10000 and a justificatiion of what ever the table style is set for all rows. I use ACE_TABLE_1 modified to my settings.

I'm running AutoCAD 2015 sp2.

Running a report to update an exsisting BOM or updating more than once, the new/update BOM is grayed out and a new BOM is inserted instead of updating exsisting BOM.

I use the user post supplied by you and have attached the files.

Thanks

Message 11 of 17
PatMurnen_Adsk

Update Existing:

I don't think you answered my question on whether you are getting an error when you update an existing table. Check the command line and the xdata on the table after you try and update the table the first time. If you see an error or there is no xdata, this would explain why only one update is possible because if it errors out then the xdata will be missing on the updated table. So AutoCAD Electrical no  longer sees it as a report table to update. To narrow what might be causing this at your end I would suggest using the Standard tablestyle as a test to see if you are able to insert and update existing tables repeatedly. If that works then create your own tablestyle based on the Standard style and make changes and try it to make sure it still works to both insert and update more than once. I am having no trouble at my end updating existing tables multiple times. 

Justification:

I did find a known issue that was introduced in SP2 having to do with justification. The fix in SP2 was supposed to be limited to the title text height but it somehow affected the justification of all fields. You can uninstall just the SP2 if there aren't other fixes in it that are critical to you. You can see all the fixes in the readme for it. http://knowledge.autodesk.com/sites/default/files/file_downloads/AutoCAD_Electrical_2015_SP2_Enu.htm This is not an ideal solution but until this is resolved it is the only one I am aware of if you need something other than what is set in the tablestyle.

Row height:

Make sure the vertical part of the text justification in the tablestyle is set to Middle, i.e. Middle Left, Middle Center, Middle Right. Once I did that and set my tablestyle for .005 vertical margins and .05 text height I did get a row height of under .08. So using the formula I provided before you should be able to get the row height of .081 by changing the text height and vertical margin for the tablestyle. 

Regards,

Pat Murnen

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 12 of 17
breierg

Pat,

Update exsisting:

I no longer get an xdata error and all is well with updates (I had one cell type at 0)

Justification:

I can live with a middle left justification until this issue is resolved in future service packs

Row Heights:

Playing with margin settings I found that the horizontal margin and the justification also play a role in row height....if I set the horizontal margin to .02, the vertical to .00005 with a text height of .04 justified to middle left I can achieve a row height of .08. so I believe there are more factors in the formula you posted earlier....but I have it workinig

user post:

I believe the user post I attached earlier to eliminate the extra rows are the 2015 vintage, I still cannot get the post to run automatically. At a loss here but manually it works

Thanks for all your help

Message 13 of 17
PatMurnen_Adsk

Ok. Glad we are making progress. I will have to verify about the factors in the row height to make sure I provide accurate answers. Thanks.

Sorry, I forgot about the user post. I looked at the one you posted and the "guts" of it appear to be exactly what is in the 2015 version supplied with the product. So instead of using your old one from 2014, you can use the 2015 one "as is". In case the 2015 one was overwritten I have attached a copy. No change was made regarding the .dcl part of user posts so you can safely use your older version.

Regards,

Pat

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 14 of 17
breierg

Pat

BOM updates work as they should now that I have the table magin settings tweeked, Thanks again

The user post you atttached eliminates the repeats but does not removed the blank rows, I went back to an earlier post about this same issue and use the user post attached there, back in July 2014 I believe. The issue with the one I'm using is it can only be run manually and you have to run it twice for some reason. You select the user post hit ok and the window pop right back up, select it again and it runs.....at least on my end.

Message 15 of 17
PatMurnen_Adsk

Looks like yours has some minor tweaks that are not in the one provided. I copied the guts of yours into the new 2015 framework which should take care of the problem of having it come up twice and you should be able to add it to a .set file so it runs automatically.

Regards,

Pat Murnen

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 16 of 17
breierg

Thanks for all your help Pat, works as it should!!!

Message 17 of 17
PatMurnen_Adsk

Excellent. Glad it all finally came together. I did ask support to add an article in the knowledge base regarding the use of older user post .lsp files in AutoCAD Electrical 2015. Sorry for that inconvenience.

Regards,

Pat

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost