AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2013 crashes: subfolders created & opened in 2012

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
stefan.stamate
727 Views, 8 Replies

2013 crashes: subfolders created & opened in 2012

In our office we have Autocad Electrical 2013 on one of the computers and 2012 on the other two. After creating a project in 2013 and adding subfolders to it we opened it up in 2012 to make some edits. After comparing the old wdp file (2013) with the new one (2012) we discovered that 2012 converted the subfolders definition (=====SUB=) to a description definition (===SUB=) and inserted it in the DESC1 line for each drawing. When trying to open it back in 2013 it caused the Autocad to crash with a "Fatal Error" several times. When it worked we could see no subfolders in the project manager and we lost the DESC3 field. Also when trying to re-create the folders it added the new lines in the wdp file (=====SUB=) but kept the old ones as well (===SUB=). This seems to be a bug and I am not sure if it addressed by any of the service packs. Did anybody else encountere this issue? I have attached the error message we got.

Thanks for your help!

Stefan

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Only version 2013 supports the virtual subfolders.  Version 2012 will be looking for a description line in the position of the .wdp file where the new subfolder assignment is stored.  You should not assign subfolders if you are going to be using other versions besides 2013.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 9

Thanks for the update!

It would be nice if Autodesk maintained the backward compatibility for at least the last 1-2 versions...

Message 4 of 9

The software can save the file format for compatibility with older versions but features introduced by a new release may not be compatibile with an older version. For example, the core code of 2011 and 2012 would have to be rewritten in order for those versions to interpret the new .wdp format. This is simply not done in the software industry. Microsoft did not go back and update the code of Access 2003 so that it could read version 2007 databases. I experienced this personally. I had to upgrade my databases such that they were no longer compatible with the older versions of Access.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 5 of 9

I understand the chellenges when dealing with a database in Autocad but was it considered by Autodesk for instance to use a different identifier/symbol for subfolders in the wdp file than the equal sign which was already used for section/subsection/description lines in previous versions?

Message 6 of 9

I don't think it has so much to do with the equal sign as with the position in the .wdp file. But there is more to it than that. 2012 would not know what to do with such information. It doesn't know about applying project properties to drawings in a subfolder. It doesn't know about drag and drop, etc.

Doug McAlexander

Message 7 of 9

OK, thank you!

Message 8 of 9

If you get a subscription from Autodesk you can keep all of your software up to date so all designers can access and take advantage of all project data in the same fashion.

Doug McAlexander

Message 9 of 9

We have a subscription, 2 seats are client style and 3 are network style. Unfortunatelly the upgrade was not done in the same time for all the licences and we ended up with this problem. Even now the AE 2013 network licenced is reporting the same error or fatal errors when trying to do normal stuff. It seems like the incompatibility between 2012 and 2013 regarding the folders crashed 2013 so badly...I am not sure how we can get rid of these errors at this point. Hopefully Autodesk takes note of it and does a service pack...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost