AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2009 symbol builder

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
AMT_electrical
336 Views, 10 Replies

2009 symbol builder

Is it just me or is this new 2009 symbol builder very difficult to understand. Do I need training just to understand what in heck they are trying to accomplish here????
Why make it so difficult to understand and have very little documentation on how to do things?

One of the things I can not find how to change or modify is when I make a symbol and insert it, why are only the numbers (line numbers) inserted and not the family code like CB, FU etc??? No documentation at all.

It took me about an hour just to figure out how to change my insertion point. And how I did it, I have no idea and it will probably take me another hour to make another symbol. Way to long.

This is way too over the top for building a simple symbol.

I'm sure there will be many gripes for this new release. Do I need training for each time we upgrade?????
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
cawaugh
in reply to: AMT_electrical

It takes a little getting used to but works just fine. In case you don't have or want to make the time to "learn" this new process, Acade has retained the old blackbox builder. Type in "wd_sym_build" at the command line (minus the quotes) and away you go. This will keep you productive until you can get more time to understand the new symbol builder. I don't mean to scare you but wait til you see the circuit builder process. It took some experimenting to get the process down correctly but now that I understand it, it is really cool. I've already changed all my standard circuits to work with this new function. There is great potential for this fucntion within our work flow. Good luck and I've found it easier to keep an open mind, work through the new functions then decide if it is useful or not. If not, there is usually an api or some other way of using older functions that are still around but may not be readily apparent. Check out Nate's blog at http://mfgcommunity.autodesk.com/blogs/blog/7/. He has a lot of great info there and gives very good examples for "Controlling the machine".
Message 3 of 11
Charon0318

You are not alone! 2008s symbol builder works great. I don't know what they were thinking. I mean, I hit the icon to insert an attribute, but get a message that the attribute must be selected before invoking the command....IF the attribute was already there, I wouldn;t be trying to insert it, would I?
I've had 2009 for a week and haven't been able to create the the first symbol. It's much easier to build a block, then have the Symbol Builder convert your text and insert your wire connection points like 2008 did.
Is there anyone who has a detailed explanation of how this new symbol builder works? The "Help" built into the command is not helpful!
Message 4 of 11
kenaslan

09 is mess. hopefully Autodesk is paying attention to the users instead of the children that are designing it.
Message 5 of 11
BruTec

Children designing it? That's harsh. Like every other product, the designers are working hard to provide you new and helpful tools to make your job easier and faster. I know many of them and they are hard working people who work more hours and spend more time arguing over the benefits of a new feature and how it should work than you can imagine.

Before every release Beta's are created, released, and tested by users such as yourself. Perhaps you would like to be a tester to help shape the product? But no matter how much testing is done, errors will still be missed, and will exist in the product. That's just the life of software development. The best you can hope for is to have a place like this where people listen and offer suggestions.

It's easy to snipe, calling them children, not as easy to offer suggestions for improvements and tools you'd like to see added. That takes time, effort, and careful thought.
Randy Brunette
Message 6 of 11
Renorick

I'm an AE newbie, learning the app., in the process of upgrading from AutoCAD Light 07. Here's what I learned just yesterday.
I'm virtually certain the AE Help version of the Symbol Builder applies to an older version of Symbol Builder. Help sez: Click the Miscellaneous tool to access the Symbol Builder tool (zzt. wrong. From the AE:Main Electrical Toolbar, the actual location of the icon is: Insert Component>Miscellaneous>Generic Boxes>Symbol Builder. Then you're supposed to navigate to the jic125 folder, where you're left with a choice of dozens of inscrutably named drawing files to choose from.
However, I found an alternate method. Buried in the Autodesk's Official Training Courseware AE09 Essential JIC tutorial books is a symbol builder lesson that relates a bit more clearly to AE09 reality, and it points to the Symbol Builder tool associated with the Misc. icon on the Tool Palette>Schematic panel>Misc. dropdown menu.
However, all the above questions and pounding of brainpans against desktops still applies to the process.
My suggestion to Autodesk is to look deeply and thoroughly at every aspect of the AE help application. This is not the first discrepancy I've come across-just the latest.
No, I don't think my employer would appreciate me volunteering as a Beta tester.
Message 7 of 11

You can use the original symbol builder by typing wd_sym_build at the command line and pressing your enter key. Experienced users often prefer this one. Those who like block editor in regular AutoCAD may find the new symbol builder to be a more familiar environment. I am definitely faster with the original version that shipped with releases up through 2008. Hint: You can use CUI to add a new icon that triggers the wd_sym_build code. (see attached screen shot)

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

They didn't pay attention to us Beta testers, so
why would they listen to the users?

That said, to change an insertion point, open the
block as a dwg, type BASE at the command prompt, select your new insertion point
and then save

Regards Brad

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
is mess. hopefully Autodesk is paying attention to the users instead of the
children that are designing it.
Message 9 of 11
kenaslan

I stand behind my statement. Children allways try to reinvent the wheel. Dont try to fix what is not broken. The programers there are not pros needing to get out drawings, CD's. For the most part think us users are an annoyence. I stand by my statements, File folder should be yellow not grey, explode should be red TNT not grey box, etc. Autocad and its parts use color to help navagate. I remember when color TVs replaced BW. Now NOEONE uses BW, so to take a color program and turn the interface to BW, well only a child, or someone that does not use autocad day in and day out would do such a thing. Its time for a change at Autodesk. YOu are now costing the industery money by slowing down production.

I stand by my statement, the PM for 09 should be fired for the worst rev ever. I first started drafting in 74. I have earned the right after 34 years of drafting to speak my mind.

Ken
The Old Guy
Message 10 of 11

Can someone tell me what the command line is for the new symbol builder? I was creating a button for the legacy builder and accidently overwrote the new version. I like to use both and I cant seem to find the answer thru the help guide.
Message 11 of 11
cawaugh

^C^C^PAESYMBUILDER

Good luck!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost