AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Content

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
stevenhcox001
310 Views, 2 Replies

Content

Hi all,

I am going through the process of learning AutoCAD Electrical.  I am coming from manually drawing schematics, symbols, and blocks as well as reusing as much as possible, all in AutoCAD LT 2013. 

I am creating a sample drawing to learn the basics and I am finding out that the library is not as robust as I thought it would be.  I have tried searching for potential issues but may not know what to search for.  My project is setup to use the NFPA library. 

I have gone through many of the categories and basically see three manufacturers for most items.  Additionally, I wanted to drop a cabinet fan into my drawing and could not find any fan symbols at all.

What am I missing?

Thanks, Steven

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
jseefdrumr
in reply to: stevenhcox001

When you say 'library', do you mean symbols or catalog entries?

A default installation only includes 3 vendors in the catalog, if I recall correctly. You can add more via Add/Remove Features, but some older versions of ACADE don't work right with that method so you may actually have to do a reinstall to see more vendors appear in the catalog.

Keep in mind that Autodesk doesn't work to keep the parts catalog in ACADE up to date. They rely on manufacturers to submit new content on their own, which basically doesn't ever happen. Therefore, the catalogs currently have many product lines that have been obsoleted, while missing newer ones that have been created in the last 10-15 years.

As for the symbol for an enclosure fan, there isn't one. Typically, because a fan is a motor, you would use a motor symbol and indicate via annotation that this particular motor is in a fan.

ACADE gives you the tools to make new entries in your parts catalog, so you don't necessarily have to worry about how out-of-date is. Just be prepared to make entries for newer products. You can also create new symbols, so if you needed to have some sort of dedicated symbol for the enclosure fan, you can create one. The Symbol Builder tool helps you create symbols that make use of ACADE's symbol intelligence.

Jim Seefeldt
Electrical Engineering Technician

Message 3 of 3
stevenhcox001
in reply to: jseefdrumr

@jseefdrumr,

I am mostly talking about the catalog.  I was under the impression there was a lot of vendors included.

I built a fan component today and will setup a library database for my custom components when I get to that point. 

Thanks for the information.

Steven

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost