AutoCAD Civil 3D Wishes (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which is the Autodesk policy at the time to solve the wishes (C3D) ?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
tonnot
1014 Views, 13 Replies

Which is the Autodesk policy at the time to solve the wishes (C3D) ?

I dont know how Adesk work...

Any idea ? 

The new develops (fullfiling or not any wish)  are automatically avalaible trough updates ?

Thanks

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

Civil 3D (2013) how much you have to improve....

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
AllenJessup
in reply to: tonnot

Autodesk evaluates wishes, error reports, customer service request, etc. to identify things that might be added to future releases or fixed with a hotfix, service pack or in a future release.

There can be many things that affect whether a wish is included in a future release or not. First off is how often a request is made. If only one person wishes for a specific function then it probably wont be considered. If making the change the wish request will break another part of the program it will probably not be seen for many released if at all. If the results of the change or addition wished for can be accomplished by another method in the program it might not be considered or put on the back burner. If the wish duplicates something already available through a 3rd party Autodesk partner's software you probably wont see it.

One thing to remember. Even though 2014 just came out. 2015 is well along in development and nothing will be changed at this point except identified bugs. Even with the bugs if the fix will break something more important, 2015 will be release with it and a fix found later.

So if there is a wish that a lot of people want and Autodesk sees it as an enhancement to the program that will be of benefit to a large pool of users then you might see it in 2016 if something more important doesn't bump it.

The only time you'll see immediate changes to software is when you're working with a small developer. I've had changes made in programs within days, but they were all small programs from small developers. Autodesk programs are too massive to be dealt with in that manor.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 14
tonnot
in reply to: AllenJessup

....2015 is well along in development and nothing will be changed at this point except identified bugs.....

How do you know that?

Then,  If I have understood correctly, Adesk only fix bugs ?

Whats if I am a French partner (for example) and I'm sure that 10 or 20 tools can help to sell licenses in France ? 

Adesk are going to do the work ? Have you ever heard something related ?

Thanks 

Message 4 of 14
AllenJessup

@Anonymous wrote:

How do you know that?

Uh...well. I may have put my foot in my mouth. As an EE I'm under an NDA. But the general production schedule is mostly common knowledge. So I don't think that will cause trouble. I was at Autodesk in San Francisco last month along with a group of EEs. Some of the discussions I was involved in were specifically about what you asked. Wishes and Bug fixes and how and when they're included in the product.

Then,  If I have understood correctly, Adesk only fix bugs ?

No. There is a balance. Autodesk has to fix bugs so people stay on subscription and they have to offer new features to attract people to subscription. Some want more attention paid to software problems. Some want more attention to new features. Hotfixes and service packs are free to all. No one would want to upgrade if the next release didn't contain new features.

Whats if I am a French partner (for example) and I'm sure that 10 or 20 tools can help to sell licenses in France ? Adesk are going to do the work ? Have you ever heard something related ?

If you're an Autodesk partner you'd be developing the software to provide those routines yourself. You'll often see 3rd party developers mentioned in these groups as providing tools that don't appear in the original program.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 14
tonnot

Thanks Allen.

But the general production schedule is mostly common knowledge.

Where can I see that ?  

And ... Hotfixes and service packs information are public ? 

Any link to both (schedule and last wouldbe appreciated)

(I have an edu. license so I dont how to see these things.... ) 

Thanks for your time Allen.

Message 6 of 14
AllenJessup

By mostly common knowledge I meant that those of us who have been doing this a couple of years know that the next release will be ready for beta testing in a couple of months and will be released in the spring of the next year. Maybe late April or may. No one who know the exact date can say.

Hotfixes and Service Packs are available HERE. Pick Updates and Service Packs your software. Then click on the release to see the available downloads.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 7 of 14
tonnot

As I have seen the service packs only solve issues and bugs, isn't it  ?

By last : 

Imagine I have this important need :

Have a range of curve radius and frecuency values. 

For example I want to have a frecuency value of 20 meters for curves with radius > 400 and a frecuency value of 1 meter for curves with radius <25 meters. 

Now the curve frecuency is applied to every type of curve, regardless its radius (What is unnaceptable)

(I'd have an excessive frecuency value for one type of curves , as you can see)

So ... Have I to wait  people "vote" my wish and wait until 2016 ??????? 

Thanks for your time Allen.

Message 8 of 14
AllenJessup

Yes. Service Packs mostly only fix bugs. There may be some functional improvement in some.

If Autodesk sees a need for the improvement you suggest. Yes. The earliest you'd see it would be in the 2016 release.

You might want to ask if there is any way to accomplish this in the Civil 3D forum. I don't know how that could be accomplished automatically. You could, of course, create a different segment for each curve and apply the frequency that way.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 9 of 14
tonnot

So, imagine this:

I have the authority to recommend the buying of software for Qatar org.

We are talking about 200 licenses

But I need some new tools.

Do you think that now Adesk is going to kneel and do the work ?

Thanks 

Message 10 of 14
AllenJessup

No. 2000 licenses maybe. The margin on 200 licenses wouldn't come close to paying for the custom programming. As mentioned in the other group. There are Country Kits. If it's a country wide requirement something might happen there.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 11 of 14
dgorsman

The programs are provided "as-is" without any guarantee they will be suitable for any end uses.  In this model, the developer procedes as how they think is the best path forward for the product.  That may not meets the requirements of a single user, a group of users, or even a majority of the usrs, but it is still up to the developer.  This model is very prevalent in software that serves very large numbers of users, in that catering to small groups of user requests makes the product worse for the rest of the users.  It can also tie up resources which are needed for larger scale work such as updating for Win 8.

This is in contrast to "work for hire" software, where a developer is paid to produce a product with very specific features.  If the product doesn't meet the contractual requirements they dont' get paid.  If more features are required, the contract is ammended and the developer gets paid more money.  This is much more common in the third-party customizations for AutoDesk products.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 12 of 14
tonnot
in reply to: dgorsman

OK. 

It is a pitty.

Maybe C3D could be a leader some day in the future.....

Sincerely I think this poor focus of the reality . 

Civil software is a complicated world. Engineers needs are ahead of software developers....

On the other hand, C3D is a relative young program. Adesk boys only should have looked at the existing programs, taking the best of everyone. C3D have serious and ridiculous lacks.

Having a quick response offering solutions is what users want now. Whoever offers this service will win the game.

This is what thousands of people think.

Thanks. 

Message 13 of 14
dgorsman

As mentioned earlier, they simply cannot be making wholesale changes based on on a couple of peoples needs, and you will never have "quick response" for a program the size/complexity of Civil3D.

200 seats isn't enough to get AutoDesks interest, but it should be enough for any number of professional plug-in designers.  Define your needs and shop around, you should be able to find a third-party developer who will give you exactly what you are looking for.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 14 of 14
tonnot
in reply to: dgorsman

How many programmers do you think are working on civil 3D ? 

TH

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report