Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water drop enhancement

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Neilw_05
870 Views, 2 Replies

Water drop enhancement

A recent discussion about how to create an alignment for a drainage thalweg leads to this wish. The water drop tool would be useful for this. By placing a drop at a known low point it should find a path downstream throught the low points. In it's current state the tool is inadequate because it stops the path at the first depression it encounters, regardless of how small it is.

An option to specifiy a minimum depth parameter to the tool so that it will ignore depressions that are smaller than the minimum would solve this problem.

The current workarounds involve creating custom subassemblies or porting the data to HEC-RAS, both of which are far too cumbersome for the typical user.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
troma
in reply to: Neilw_05

Personally, my wish would be that the tool should create a hatch or something similar at every depression it encounters (a hatch showing the limit of the ponding in that depression) but the drop should continue flowing past the depression to the edge of the surface regardless of the depth of a depression.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 3
Neilw_05
in reply to: troma

Good insight. Bentley's Geopak civil product water drop tool is a model of how it could work. It provides a minimium depth parameter and fills/outlines the ponded area as well.

Another nice aspect of Bentley's tool is the user has the option of making the graphics temporary so you can evaluate many scenarios without having anything written to the file.

Yes, the tool should be able to ignore all depressions if desired.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report