Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shrinkwrap boundary for survey surfaces

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
cbaildon001
8092 Views, 7 Replies

Shrinkwrap boundary for survey surfaces

The new surface build option in 2013 for maximum triangle angle is halfway there. It is good for surfaces created from grading or corridors where internal trinagles are fairly regular, but fails surveyors completely.

Surveyors have been waiting a long time for a shrinkwrap tool for surveyed surfaces. The maximum triangle angle is a good start but needs a couple of more rules applied:

1. Work its way from the outside until, so as not to affect any internal triangles with large internal angles.

2. Not to remove trianles past survey figures used as breaklines.

If a shrinkwrap command like this was put in Civil3D there would be a lot of happy surveyors. Other programs have been doing this at least 15yrs in my experience.

Caleb Baildon
Senior Surveyor
Opus International Consultants Ltd
Wellington, New Zealand
Civil3D 2015 - Windows10
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
sjg
Advisor
in reply to: cbaildon001

LINEWORKSHRINKWRAP is the command you are looking for. See if this helps
Steve Goessling
Land Consultants
Civil3D 2015
Windows 7, 64 bit
Intel i7 2600 @ 3.40Ghz
16 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 600
Message 3 of 8
cbaildon001

Thanks for the suggestion Steve, but as the command name suggest LINEWORKSHRINKWRAP puts a shrink-wrapped polyline around linework, not a surface.

When used on a surface with either triangles or boundary displayed it shrink-wraps the total extents and does not weed out any triangles, leaving you right where you started. If only contours are showing then the command fails. It is not much good using on surveyed breaklines either as it ignore points, and creates all sorts of polylines around intersecting survey figures.

According to the release comaparison matrix, Civil3D 2013 has a new "surface shrinkwrap boundary" command, but this is only for adding boundaries to corridors (and I believe makes use of the "maximum angle" build option).

Caleb Baildon
Senior Surveyor
Wellington, New Zealand
Civil3D 2015 - Windows10
Message 4 of 8
el_nath

Have you tried limiting triangle length?

Nathan Selles-Alvarez, P.E.
Senior Civil Engineer
Message 5 of 8
sjg
Advisor

If you modify your surface style to have triangles and border on, delete the triangles that are not needed. Get it to a point where you are comfortable with the look of the surface, extract the boundary, remove the tin edits you did to the surface and use the extracted boundary as your perimeter. Just another suggestion.
Steve Goessling
Land Consultants
Civil3D 2015
Windows 7, 64 bit
Intel i7 2600 @ 3.40Ghz
16 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 600
Message 6 of 8
cbaildon001
in reply to: sjg

We currently use a combination of Maximum triangle length (to get rid of unwanted supersized triangles) and Delete lines (to get rid of smaller unwanted triangles). I hoped that Maximum angle would complemented the Maximum triangle length to avoid having to delete so many triangles.

But once that is done there is no point to creating any boundary, by shrink-wrap or other means, but it would make the surface definition less complicated and easier to work with at the cost of some extra upfront work.

Caleb Baildon
Senior Surveyor
Wellington, New Zealand
Civil3D 2015 - Windows10
Message 7 of 8
el_nath

I had requested the shrinkwrap boundary for design, not for surveying.  See http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D-Wishes/Surface-Boundary-Hide/m-p/3297823.

The use that you wish to use it, is different from what I intended to it for.

Nathan Selles-Alvarez, P.E.
Senior Civil Engineer
Message 8 of 8
cbaildon001
in reply to: el_nath

Yes it will be a really useful command to have with design surfaces. But if Autodesk had given just a little bit of thought to its potential for wider application, then it would not be a big step to tweak it to work with more irregular surveyed surfaces (still useful for say LIDAR data).

Here's to hoping. 2014?

Caleb Baildon
Senior Surveyor
Wellington, New Zealand
Civil3D 2015 - Windows10

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report