Did you mean: 

Several basic important features for C3D 2014

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
martin.folber
772 Views, 1 Reply

Several basic important features for C3D 2014

What features in C3D 2014 our customers are looking forward to:

1)      Flipped Sample Lines / Cross-section views – missing feature in channel/river design projects

In channel design, river cross-sections have to be drawn in flow direction. This means that left bank is on the left side and right bank is on right side heading downstream. BUT river station starts from river mouth upstream. We miss the functionality (at least) to change direction of cross-section view or sample line. Similar feature is already done in profile view style. This is quite serious problem for channel design engineers.

2)      Corridor daylight overlapping – projection lines overlap in tight corners. All workarounds are not effective and all the proceses are very laborious. Moreover corridors are better and more stable than gradings

3)      Missing pipe design profile tools – all the pipe network functionality is useless without good profile design. Editing pipe section between manholes is very confusing and not very effective, when vertical design is changed. Many variables missing in profile view label style and in data bands. E.g. not possible to display elevation of invert anywhere (missing in crossing with other utilities) not possible to show depth of pipe invert from existing surface, expressions in data bands are missing. Part Builder is like from „another world“.  Unfortunatelly, Civil 3D pipe design functionality is very poor and without any external application is insufficient.

4)      Projecting objects to profile view and to cross section views – missing automatic intersection detection, where feature line / 3D poly / polyline crosses an alignment. According our standards most important location.  Impossible to project polylines in profile view and in cross section views. They should work as utility network. In cross section view object projection is not possible to choose only some objects (NOT all 3dpoly/feature lines). Because all objects are projected, which is not as useful as it shoud be. Also individual styles for chosen projected objects would be very practical.

Is Autodesk able to implement such basic funcionality? Are these wishes crazy? These requests are from real world design...there is no need to make up some special features, that are not usually used. Just to improve, what is in the box...

Comparing several last releases I really doubt, that at least one of these suggestions will be accomplished.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
choiceone
in reply to: martin.folber

Points 3 and 4 are very valid points. I have not worked with the other 2 items so I can not comment on these. I really hope autodesck listens to these comments.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report