Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

POINTS NUMBERRING

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
bozoli
396 Views, 6 Replies

POINTS NUMBERRING

I so wish that i can be able to re-number my POINTS as i wish eg BP01, PLT01, SO01 as long as the points are in the different point groups or different point description, because now i can only have BP01, but i cant have PLT01 or SO01.

Thanx

Silver

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
peterfunkautodesk
in reply to: bozoli

In Civil 3D we have two values for points: the point number and the point name. The number can only be an positive integer and must be unique. The point name can be either an integer or a collection of letters and numbers, but each name must be unique. For your example, BP01, PLT01 and SO01 are point names and you could use all of these in a single project.

When you import points from a file you need to use either the point name or the point number.

If you choose to use point names in your project, then Civil 3D will assign point numbers for you.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 7
bozoli

Thanx for the reply Peter, But what I exactly meant is that..when I create my points groups, I only give them description e.g SO. I don't enter the whole description as "SO01" and the point number i get it from point number or re-numbering. But it's impossible to have "point number 1" though they have different description..that's what I mean..I hope you understand what I mean.
Message 4 of 7
peterfunkautodesk

I understand that you use the description and a number and you put the two of those together. Do the crews collect points with duplicate numbers in the field or do they collect a point called "SC01" If they collect "SC01" then use point names on the import. If they collect 1 and SC, they you could pre process the point file to merge those fields together.

If this is the case, then the wish would be have a point import format that could combine fields on the fly.

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 7
bozoli
in reply to: peterfunkautodesk

Owl let me try to use an example. Let's say I have designed my parking levels and platforms levels. And I want to use "PK" for my parking setting out descriptin and "PLF" for my platform setting out description but the number will be take from point list properties. But now it's impossible to have "point number 1" inthe point list properties regardless of different description nor different points groups in the drawing.
Message 6 of 7
nmessina

Peter, my question is why must C3D, assign a number in the first place??? I wish we can just have a point identity column that can be either a number or name, just as Trimble does. There are many large scale projects we gave with multiple crews. Crew A uses points 10,000 to 19,999 and Crew B 20,000 to 29,999 and so forth.

It would be way better to use A1000+ and B1000+ ...... without having odd point numbers assigned such as 9876676.

Nicholas, Messina Jr., PSM
Message 7 of 7
bozoli
in reply to: nmessina

exactly my point Nicholas. cause recently once a point number is used..then is finished, it cant be used again. And this is diorganising.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report