Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Point blocks independant of your point marker

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
bcamber
944 Views, 12 Replies

Point blocks independant of your point marker

I found an article in the Being civil blog http://beingcivil.typepad.com/my_weblog/2009/04/point-blocks-independent-of-your-point-marker.html and would like to get some more answers but I don't know how to contact the author of the blog. The blog itself is almost two years old. Does anyone know how to contact the author?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Civil3DReminders
in reply to: bcamber

Most of the contributors to the blog work in Autodesk Support, if you submit a support request you most likely will get one of them. You may want to also contact your reseller to see if they can answer your questions.

Christopher

http://blog.civil3dreminders.com/

Message 3 of 13
el_nath

This doesn't sound very BIM like.  It seems that you may be still creating designs/surveys for drafting and not for models.  As a design engineer, the greatest annoyance have with surveys is when the point labels are separated from the point in question.  When I see that, I just want to die.

It seems what you really want to do is add a block to the point label style.  Take a look at the attached images.  I created this on the fly and and just grabbed any block that there was, but you can use any (multiple) blocks in labels.  You can toggle the point label grips to move the individual components of the point label any where you want (including the block).  In the example, the point marker is an "X" and the block is a low point marker, but it could be the other way around.  In the example I've also turn off the leader arrow, but again that is just a style.

Block in label

Component Grip

Nathan Selles-Alvarez, P.E.
Senior Civil Engineer
Message 4 of 13
el_nath
in reply to: el_nath

To add to previous post...

The blocks can be created on various layers so that their visibilty can be altered for various sheets/viewports.  Furthermore, this isn't limited to point labels.

I hope this helps.

Senior Civil Engineer
Message 5 of 13
bcamber

Thanks for your reply. What I am trying to achieve is all my point markers being a consistent marker, i.e.. a cross, with associated label, whatever that may be i.e.. spot elevation, point number and elevation, point number elevation description.

I would also like to be able to place the associated block/symbol for that point automatically. The end result being for points that are part of a string, i.e.. curb line , edge of asphalt, etc., are displayed with point marker (cross) and spot elevation. Points that are not part of a string i.e.. fire hydrant, lamp post, etc., to be displayed with point marker (cross) and spot elevation and whatever associated info. in the label as well as the associated symbol (block) on the point as well. The end result being a drawing that can be plotted with point symbol on the point itself. Nothing has been moved or disassociated from the actual point that was shot in the field. So you have a plottable drawing with point symbols that can be frozen when working in cad, point info is still there.

I am a surveyor not a designer but I am trying to make drawings that are accurate and make sense when plotted but can still be used digitally for design.

Message 6 of 13
el_nath

Please understand that I know little about creating surveys, I am a design engineer, however, I do a little about cogo points and llabels (having suffered for many months!)

If I understand you correctly, you want:

1. For strings... an "X" marker at the shot location.

2. For symbols... a block (hydrant, well, lampost, etc...) and an "X" marker at the same exact location.

For the string, I'd have an "X" marker style with a basic label.  For symbols, I'd have a marker style specific to the point description and use a basic label style with an additional label component, an "X" block.  If you have to move the labels, you can always toggle the grips to move the sub-components individually.

So there should be two label styles, one with an "X" and one without.

http://docs.autodesk.com/CIV3D/2011/ENU/filesMadRiverCUG/WS27101fef35e777f9b5f53afbf5415486-7f33.htm

Senior Civil Engineer
Message 7 of 13
bcamber
in reply to: el_nath

Yes, that is more or less what I'm trying to do. I did not realise I could use blocks in label styles until now. I will play around with what I already know and with what you have pointed out to me and I'll probably be able to come up with a combination that works for me. Thanks again for your help.

Message 8 of 13
kbellson

i would like this also,

it seems more like the point blocks were left out and people are using the point styles markers because thats the only option to browse for something (probably because they removed the superimposed option and replaced it with the option to use a block)

something else that is hard to deal with is if you want your markers to rescale in viewports

to get your marker to rescale:

in the description key you have to set your use drawing scale to No

then you set your point style marker size option to use drawing scale...thats not all.

now you have to figure out how big you want your marker to be.... it DOES NOT MATTER how big the actual block is.

open you block measure the delta y then use that size in your inches value next to use drawing scale option.

then theres rotating the marker, it rotates the label too

if you have to remove and reinsert your point your going to lose any rotations you did.

like rotating a flared end section to be inline with the pipe.

so if your using the survey database you can't really insert your points into another drawing without having to rotate points again.

LAND DESKTOP 09

LD-PointSettings-Marker.JPG

CIVIL3D2011

C3D-PoinStyle.JPG

Message 9 of 13
bcamber
in reply to: kbellson

Point marker scaling isn't something I have had to deal with much so can't help you there but as far as rotating you can adjust your point label style so that you can rotate your point marker independently of the label.

In the 'Label Style Composer' dialog on the general tab, set your behavior- orientation reference to view or wcs instead of object. 

New Picture.jpg 

Message 10 of 13
el_nath

It's all in there.

In fact you're so very close to what you want, if it was snake, you'd have been bit.

point.jpg

You can superimpose to your hearts content.  Just click the right buttons (Use custom marker).  Just look at the preview.

How the points scale is again your choice.

point2.jpg

From Civil 3D help...

Size Options

Specifies symbol scaling:

• Use Drawing Scale: Determines the size of the marker by multiplying the specified value by the drawing scale. Enter the scale factor.
  • Use Fixed Scale: Activates the Fixed Scale options.
  • Use Size in Absolute Units: The marker size is an absolute value based on the displayed units. Enter the value.
  • Use Size Relative to Screen: The size of the marker is a percentage of the drawing screen size. Enter the percentage.

Fixed Scale

Specifies independent fixed scale values when Options is set to Use Fixed Scale. Enter values for X, Y, or Z.

As for the marker rotation, it's the same as the labels (see message 9, bcamper).

point3.jpg

It's very straight forward, though, the work flow may be slightly different from LDD.  I only did a little LDD, so I never got used to it.  This post seems less like an actual C3D wish, and more like how to migrate from LDD to C3D.

Have you checked out Moving from Land Desktop to Civil 3D?

Hopefully this helps.

Nathan Selles-Alvarez

Civil Engineer, AECOM

Senior Civil Engineer
Message 11 of 13
kbellson

thanks, that will help with the label rotation.

but you still cant remove and reinsert your points without losing all your rotations.

Message 12 of 13
IanMcClain
in reply to: kbellson

You can code your point descriptions with a rotation parameter and use the description key codes to apply that rotation upon import and even after import import. This may require training and changing your workflow for collecting points in the field, but it is much faster once everything is in working. LDD description key codes did this as well, C3D maintains that functionality and maybe even adds a few options.

Ian McClain
Message 13 of 13
kbellson
in reply to: IanMcClain

Land also had the option to leave blocks when removing points.

coding the parameter for block roataition seems a little extreme.....but i had also thought about it since theres really no other option.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report