Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipes in profile view

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
troma
1275 Views, 12 Replies

Pipes in profile view

1. Give an option to switch on & off the inside wall of the structure as well as the outside wall.

2. Draw pipes to the wall of the structure, at the invert elevation, not the centre.  I know you can hide the pipe inside the structure, but you can tell it is not at the invert elevation at the wall.  The lower pipe should match right to the bottom corner of  the structure rather than going underneath it (with zero sump).

3. Give an option to just draw the two walls of a manhole, and trim them off at a specified road profile.  I.e. don't draw the structure rim.  Either that, or the possibility of the rim being at a grade, so it is parallel to the road profile rather than horizontal.

4. 'Trim' or hide the structure wall where a pipe is entering.

5. Draw connected pipes as true ellipses rather than polygons.

6. The ability to label inverts in a way that the North invert is always on the North side of the label, West on the West side, etc. regardless of flow direction or which pipe was connected first.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
aed13civil
in reply to: troma

5. Have you turned down your facetdev?

Message 3 of 13
troma
in reply to: aed13civil

Thanks for that, I never heard of it before.  My help isn't working, but I presume it is intended to set the deviation from a true ellipse for those faces.

The default was 10.  I changed it to 1, REGENALL, then tried 100, REGENALL.  Nothing changed.  The polygonal pipe  connections in my profile view didn't change one bit.  Is that odd?

I don't know why they couldn't use a true ellipse.  It's only three bits of information: centre point, major axis, minor axis.  How hard can that be to remember and display?

Mark Green

Message 4 of 13
Jeff_M

I have mine set to 0.02. A Pipe object is a 3D representation of a real pipe. An ellipse is a 2D drafting tool. SO my guess is the pipe in profile is using the 3d modeling of Autocad to generate it's display instead of keeping track of a separate 2d object representing the 3d object. 

Edit - Also, using a simple ellipse would not work when you have elliptical or box shaped pipes.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 5 of 13
aed13civil

Try putting it at like .01 or .001.  Also look at facetmax.  I know it's stupid, but it's what we have to do here to not get octogons.

Message 6 of 13
Jeff_M
in reply to: Jeff_M

I should add that this is discussed in the Best Practices Guide, under the topic "Networks in Profile and Section Views"
EESignature
Message 7 of 13
troma

Is this command undocumented for 2011? It's working, but there is no help for it. ("Page not found" when I hit F1 in the middle of the command, but help is working fine otherwise.) I eventually found the page in 'best practices'. I should spend more time in there.

Mark Green

Message 8 of 13
troma

Anyone know if the increased display has an impact on performance?

Mark Green

Message 9 of 13
Jeff_M

I haven't ever noticed any difference when testing different settings.
EESignature
Message 10 of 13
BrianHailey

troma wrote:

2. Draw pipes to the wall of the structure, at the invert elevation, not the centre.  I know you can hide the pipe inside the structure, but you can tell it is not at the invert elevation at the wall.  The lower pipe should match right to the bottom corner of  the structure rather than going underneath it (with zero sump).

You can grip edit the pipe so it connects anywhere on the structure you want.

VIDEO

There is a pipe rule that you can also apply that will allow you to connect the pipes to the center, inside wall, or outside wall but I've had some weird results with that one.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 11 of 13
troma
in reply to: BrianHailey

Thanks for the hard work you put into the reply Brian.  I learned something I didn't know.

Unfortunately, my original request wasn't written specifically enough.  I need the pipe connected to the centre of the structure theoretically.  That is to say: I need the length and grade calculated from centre to centre of my structures.  That's a municipal requirement for sewer calculations.

But visually, I need the pipe connected to the wall of the structure.  That's a municipal requirement for drafting / drawing presentation.

Any suggestions?

Mark Green

Message 12 of 13
ccl_cad_manager

We get around that elevation "look" requirement by changing the floor thickness of the structure.  With the structure hide on and a few different options for floor thickness you can control for a wide range of angles leaving the pipe.  You can see the difference on screen, but when you plot the linewieghts usually make up for the difference.  

MikeC

Civil 3D 2015, Win 7 64bit, 16 GB RAM, Dell M4600
''That's the way we've always done it'' is an excuse, not a reason.
Message 13 of 13
lsimms1

you could set up an expression for this. Could work if everyone knows exactly what label styles are for (pending mh size). Could turn into mahem if people get confused on what style to use when. Not sure I would take the chance.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report