cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5
teflon
1365 Views, 4 Replies

paste surface

I used the function paste to combine three surfaces in one. It could represent a highway. I noticed that when surfaces cross or pass close to each other some extra triangles show up trying to stitch together the surfaces. I can not find an option that can stop this, eg "not create extra triangles". Can anyone tell me why these extra triangles occur? Can you limit it?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Umit.Arslan
in reply to: teflon

yeah nice point. this should be fixed
- Umit Arslan -
Survey Engineer
Civil 3D 2018 x64
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
32GB RAM
Message 3 of 5

If you paste the surfaces together, then the "extra" triangles are needed to complete the TIN.

That said, if what you are trying to do is display a composite of the highway surface and OG, then try using the highway surface as a "Hide" boundary to the OG surface. This will make a hole in the OG that the highway will fit into and it won't introduce any additional triangles. The boundary will be dynamic so if highway changes the final drawing will update as well.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 5
troma
in reply to: peterfunkautodesk

You can use a surface as a boundary object? Smiley Surprised  That's cool to know!

But I don't think that solves the problem, and I don't think these triangles are "needed" either.  The area should be dead space.  It is outside of both original surfaces, and should remain outside of the composite.  The composite should only build where the two (or three etc.) original surfaces exist and where they cross.  Instead of this it builds across the gap where they are close to each other—this is the "extra" and unnecessary and annoying TIN that (AFAIK) there is no dynamic way to remove.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 5 of 5
doni49
in reply to: troma

@troma wrote:

But I don't think that solves the problem, and I don't think these triangles are "needed" either.  The area should be dead space.  It is outside of both original surfaces, and should remain outside of the composite.  The composite should only build where the two (or three etc.) original surfaces exist and where they cross.  Instead of this it builds across the gap where they are close to each other—this is the "extra" and unnecessary and annoying TIN that (AFAIK) there is no dynamic way to remove.

I once had two surfaces that both contained Outer boundaries.  I pasted them together and it resulted in triangles that were outside of both boundaries.  Now if the boundaries weren't there, I could kind of understand it happening.  But when I've explicitly told it "here are your boundaries", I'd expect the surface created by pasting them in to not go beyond.  I would also understand how it could get confused where those boundaries cross.  But surely something could be done there.

The point is that I had two surfaces that are dynamically created/updated.  They're being pasted together to create a new surface.  Why do I then need to MANUALLY add a new boundary.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report