cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9
wellston1
5038 Views, 8 Replies

OFFSET SURFACE

Need to be able to offset a surface not just raise or lower a surface. If you need a civil 3d surface that is parallel from an original surface there is no easy way to achieve this now. However there is a new command SURFOFFSET in 2011 that does not work with a civil 3d surface, only a plain AutoCAD surface.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
mark.herrmann
in reply to: wellston1

Couldn't you just copy the surface, and raise/lower the copied entity?  I'm not saying a copy surface utility is a bad idea, but I think it's pretty quick and painless to manually copy and adjust.

Message 3 of 9
wfberry
in reply to: mark.herrmann

A surface moved normal to itself does not necessarily mean moving it vertically.

Bill

Message 4 of 9
bquinney
in reply to: wellston1

I believe what he was referring to was to do the following:

-'Copy', pick any basepoint

-'Paste', and type '@' for the same point.

This puts a duplicate in that occupies the same space. Then, you can raise/lower, edit, etc. your surface.

Civil 3D 2013
Dell Precision T7500, Windows 7, 64bit Pro
Xeon proc., 2 @ 2.13GHz
24GB RAM
Message 5 of 9
tyronebk
in reply to: bquinney

I think what the thread starter was asking for is a way to offset a surface, not simply raise and lower it. Think of the difference between offsetting a polyline versus simply copying it in one direction. See the attached example. I can't say I've had a need to offset a surface but could see the need in some cases.
Message 6 of 9
bquinney
in reply to: tyronebk

What "offsetting" does, is basically what I described. It will make a copy of the surface, rather than simply raise/lower it.

Civil 3D 2013
Xeon proc., 2 @ 2.13GHz
24GB RAM
Message 7 of 9
Civil3DReminders
in reply to: bquinney

They want the surface to be offset normal to the traingle faces. Copying the surface and raising and lowering does not accomplish this.

Message 8 of 9

Yes, I too would wish for this...and I will tel you where it would be very useful.

We use C3D for earthwork calculations for site preparation for large dam sites.

Many of these sites exist in steep-sided river valleys and the preliminary work usually requires us to say strip 6m depth off the existing surface.  Copying a pasted surface downwards does not remove 6m depth of material normal to the steep sides.

So, the ability to offset a surface as this poster is asking does in fact have a seriously useful purpose and I would use it reasonably frequently.

cheers,

Peter T

cheers,
Peter T
Dunedin, New Zealand.

C3D 2011, Win 7, Dell M6500, 8Gb RAM
Message 9 of 9
bquinney
in reply to: peterthomson9209

The explanation you have in its use does further explain how the feature would be beneficial, contrary to the copy/paste - raise/lower option.

Civil 3D 2013
Xeon proc., 2 @ 2.13GHz
24GB RAM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report