cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9
c3dcougar
750 Views, 8 Replies

Offset Profiles

I would like to have offset profiles like we have offset alignments.

Cyndy Davenport
Author: Mastering Civil 3D 2014, 2015, 2016
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
el_nath
in reply to: c3dcougar

Offset profiles would be very cool.  I'm laying out a rail and roadway ramp network in a very tight area.  The ramps are weaving all round the rail and each other, so having an offset for structure depth and rail and road envelope would make design profile layout much easier.

In the meantime one dynamic way to acheive the goal is to create an assembly of the roadway (railway) with generic links used for the overhead envelope.

Create corridor surfaces for the structure datum, structure top, and the overhead envelope.

Create surface profiles from the corridor surfaces.  The structure top profile is not need for design in the profile view and is only for visualizing in other profile views.

It's a tedious process (if you have a ton of ramps like I do), you need to have your corridors rebuild automatic for it to work dynamically, but it does produce the desired result.  Offset profiles would eliminate the tedium.  Ultimately, a corridor needs to be built, but for a pre-conceptual design under a tight deadline, offsets are adequte.

Clipboard01.jpg

Nathan Selles-Alvarez

Civil Engineer, EIT

AECOM

Nathan Selles-Alvarez, P.E.
Senior Civil Engineer
Message 3 of 9
el_nath
in reply to: el_nath

Requesting this feature again. Vertically offset profiles. There are superimposed profiles, surface profiles, and design profiles, why not vertically offset profiles?

I can't imagine designing roadways without them especially since a great deal of design checks involve vertical clearances/envelopes, under bridge structures, over culverts, etc...

Senior Civil Engineer
Message 4 of 9
AllenJessup

There are workarounds. But I certainly would find it useful.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 9
el_nath
in reply to: AllenJessup

Yes it would. If you know a simpler workaround than the one I used (create corridor > corridor surface > surface profile), I'd be very interested.

Senior Civil Engineer
Message 6 of 9
AllenJessup

I just copy the profile. Explode it to make a polyline of the profile. Move that back on to the original profile and offset it. I know if it's not at a natural scale there will be some distortion. But on rehabbing roads the asphalt is a bit forgiving. I'm just looking for where I have to do full depth replacement.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 9
el_nath

But that is not at all dynamic in the least. At least with the corridor option (tedious though it may be with the rebuilding and all), it is dynamic. Offset alignments are dynamic, and vertically offset profiles, should be as well.

Senior Civil Engineer
Message 8 of 9
AllenJessup

You're right. It's not dynamic. It's just a quick and dirty to get the information I need. At the point I would be doing that the profile is not going to undergo major changes. If there are little tweaks I repeat the process.

But I did say that having true offset profiles would be an addition to the software I'd like to see. Then all the mess would go away.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 9 of 9
el_nath

Yes it is a mess. the surprising thing is that vertical clearance issues is one of the fundamental topics you learn about in highway design class. You'd think that dynamic offset vertical alignments would have been added to Civil 3D when they added dynamic offset horizontal alignments.

I'm still scratching my head and wondering why I waste so much time copying polylines up and down when designing profiles.

Senior Civil Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report