Did you mean: 

Northing/Easting coordinates in profile band

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
NathanBee
3186 Views, 6 Replies

Northing/Easting coordinates in profile band

Hi there,

I'm just wondering if there is any chance that Civil3D could use Northing & Easting data along an alignment, and then have it available to use in a profile band.

Please refer to the attached image.

Having it available at horizontal axes Major ticks and Hoziontal Geometry points for example would be extremely helpful.

Our reseller has come up with a novel workaround involving pipe network structures, but this is not fully dynamic and is a bit of a pain to set up.

Cheers,

Nathan Bartholomew

CAD/Civil Designer | CPG New Zealand Ltd

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
el_nath
in reply to: NathanBee

It's in there.  You'll have to play around with the styles a bit, but it's under Horizontal Geometry data bands.  There is no default style, but the fields are there to use.

I created this on the fly, so it's crude, but it shows that the fields are available for your use.

Clipboard02.png

Hope this helps.

Nathan Selles-Alvarez, P.E.
Senior Civil Engineer
Message 3 of 7
mmcwilliams323

Hi,

Thanks for your picture of the profiles showing northing and easting on the data band. This is exactly what I was looking for. I am on C3D2012 and I am however having a bit of a problem replicating your solution. When modifying my data band, I get stuck under the:

(select the profile, then right click) > 'Profile View Properties .. >(select my pre-defioned band style "northing")> 'edit current selection' '> 'Profile data band style - northing'> Labels and ticks (compose label) > 'label Style Composer - Major Station' where:

1.The pick list on the top right "Profile band type horizontal Geometry" is selected

2. I select the 'layout' tab

3. I select the text>contents field but under the "text component editor - contents" dialog box there doesnt seem to be any fields available there to produce a NORTHING. there are station value, raw station, station eq. ID, Profile (1)(2) elevation, and profile (1)(2)elevation minus ...etc. but nothing that could be used to produce horizontal corrdinates.

Could you please shed some light as to where Im going wrong? thanks

Data band.JPG

NE_data band.JPG

text_composer.JPG

Mike McWilliams

Worley Parsons Calgary

Message 4 of 7
el_nath

Sure, no problem.

The images you show indicates that you are in a profile data band style. You won't find it in there, because Northing and Easting is horizontal geometry, not vertical. It's in the horizontal geometry data band style.

Clipboard01.jpg

Senior Civil Engineer
Message 5 of 7
mmcwilliams323
in reply to: el_nath

Thanks, Nathan:

With your help I have since progressed to the point where I now get Coordinates, but only by creating a Profile view  band type of "Horizontal Geometry" and composing label of the "Northing beginning" of the <Tanget>, <Curve>, <Spiral> and <Point of Intersection> of the horizontal alignment, but I have been unable to produce the same Northing/Eastings at even intervals of say 20 meters like you did on your previous photos. I will attach 3 of my latest. (3 attachments)

h4.JPG

Thanks again for any more insight you can share into this.

Mike McWilliams

Message 6 of 7
el_nath
in reply to: mmcwilliams323

The labels I created were at the start and ends of the cooresponding horizontal geometric members (tangent, curve, spiral) and not at regular intervals. I'm not sure how to go about that.

I'm curious; why would you need Northing and Easting displayed at regular intervals along a tangent, if a tangent is defined by start and end points? Is this the request of a local agency or a private client? It seems a bit engineering information overkill to me, because it's not information that a contractor will actually use.

To get you want to achieve, you can create an alignment label style at major stations that contain Northing and Easting, and add that to your alignment in addition to any other major station labels. Make sure the style has leaders turned off, then drag the individual labels onto your profile view band, and toggle the label pin to fix each label. I had to do that once for an alignment table, because tables do not allow reference values as of 2013 (I needed to have a reference station and offset in the table). It's not ideal, but it works.

Senior Civil Engineer
Message 7 of 7
mmcwilliams323
in reply to: el_nath

Nathan,

Up here in EPCM country drafting and CADD standards are usually up to whoever is signing the drawing. As for clients, they want things (Engineering, design) done right and on time. Other than during wartime, you will never see the kind of panic you see in offices up here when a deadline is due, as that is usually when clients start flying in from Ft. McMoney to make lots of last minute changes. Under those kind of conditions, usually the first thing to go is the one thing that would save the most amount of time: CADD standards.

As for the Northing issue, we  would like to have sections running through the usual orthogonal Plant corrdinate system(s) left<->right or straight up and down. As the software (inroads, C3d) usually defaults with stationing along the bottom of their profiles, that is what usually ends up on drawings. So why not replace stationing with the actual Northings or Eastings? Sounded good in theory.

Thanks,

MIke

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report