Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi-Core Utilization!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
kyheulon
1254 Views, 4 Replies

Multi-Core Utilization!

I'm thankful that there is a true 64-bit version of C3D, but now Autodesk needs to start utlizing multi-core processors!!!!  Nothing like C3D chugging away and only 1/4 of my processor being used.

New features are great, but a stable 64-bit multi-core version would be a no brainer to upgrade to, even with no new features.

Keith Yheulon

Aviation Design Manager

RW Armstrong

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
BHFH
in reply to: kyheulon

+100 But I'm doubtful it will ever happen though. Civil 3d feels like a bunch of semi related tools haphazardly thrown together but never quite acts as a cohesive unit .

Message 3 of 5
AllenJessup
in reply to: BHFH

Well. In a way you're right AutoCAD + Map 3D =± Map 3D. Many of the Transparent Commands have existed in Map for years. All the coordinate systems are handled through Map [for the most part]. There are still areas where they don't quite work harmoniously.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 5
BHFH
in reply to: AllenJessup

Well I was talking more about the stormwater tools, having to import and export to SSA and/or Storm Sewers is the biggest "WTF are they thinking" for me. Why can't we set all the parameters for catchments/pits/pipes/storms within Civil 3D and run the analysis engine externally? River analysis is very similar to what I was thinking, HECRAS engine is external, but we can set everything and visualise inside Civil 3D environment.

Back to the original discussion, I have a feeling mulitthreading is difficult because of the interdependency of civil objects. Surface can't be generated until corridor/grading are finished. Long/cross sections needs to be calculated after both surface and corridor are finished. I'm sure they can think of something as I only code for a hobby afterall!

Message 5 of 5
kyheulon
in reply to: BHFH

I'm sure it's not easy, but other software applications are doing it.  If you look at the gaming industry, they build games to use every available resource in the computer.  Even using available memory or processing in sound cards or video cards.  I'm not expecting anything like that, but Autodesk needs to do what it has to do to start using multiple cores.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report