Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature line prefix database saved in drawing instead of external file

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
IanMcClain
573 Views, 5 Replies

Feature line prefix database saved in drawing instead of external file

The feature line prefix database file is in an external file location, just like it was in LDD, but I don't see why. If Description key codes can be saved in the drawing, why not the figure prefixes? All they do is apply styles to the linework that comes in, just as the key code file applies styles that points that come in. I don't really see the need for an external file. When I updated my drawing template I had to go and update the prefix database to match and I found myself wondering why this needs to be outside the drawing.  The same may be true of the codes file and equipment database. I'm all for having points and figure objects stored in an external survey database, but why should the preferences for those objects be external? I have even notice a few times where someone who does not have the prefix database path correct in their survey user preferences open a survey drawing and lose or mess-up the survey figures displayed in that drawing.

Ian McClain
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

For larger organizations it makes sense to have these stored in a centralized location as opposed to individual drawing files. That way, everyone works with the same library.

And if a particular user is not configured correctly, it will lead to problems as you pointed out.

Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 3 of 6
IanMcClain
in reply to: IanMcClain

It could be saved in your template, just like the Description Key Codes. If someone doesn't have it in their drawing, they could pull it / update from the template, just like description key codes. I still don't see what the advantage is to having it in a seperate file. Seems like a disadvantage to me. If someone needs to make a change particular to one project, they are affecting everyone with the external file...

Ian McClain
Message 4 of 6

I guess that's the point of drawing standards - where I work, I have to work within standards and procedures and am not "allowed" to make a change for one project. If I am to make the change, that change has to be incorporated into the company-wide drawing standards. And that would require a lot of signoffs.

Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 5 of 6

I'm all for standards, but I don't think I would take it so far as to have to ask to make a change. I've found that you provide the template, most people will use and stick to the work that has already been done to them. It's still necessary to make a change for a special circumstance, though. I just don't see when point codes where deemed worthy of being saved in drawing but not figure prefixes, which essentially perform the same task: assigning styles and layers to objects as they are imported or created in the drawing.

Ian McClain
Message 6 of 6
cbaildon001
in reply to: IanMcClain

I agree that the assigning of styles etc should be done in the template. 

It need not be limited to having a separate Decription Key Set and Figure Prefix Database. It could be combined so that there is just one place to assign point and line styles to survey points.

A single line in the DKS could assign point styles and figure styles to a particular point code.

Caleb Baildon
Senior Surveyor
Opus International Consultants Ltd
Wellington, New Zealand
Civil3D 2015 - Windows10

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report