Did you mean: 

Exportable Layer Filters

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
gccdaemon
1831 Views, 8 Replies

Exportable Layer Filters

It would be great to have some of the "OLD" functionality put back such as the exportable layer filters. They would be a huge help in Civil 3D with templates that have 300+ layers.

Andrew Ingram
Civil 3D x64 2019
Win 10 x64 Pro
Intel Xeon E5-1620
32 GB Ram
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

This is still possible, you just need to edit the registry.

There are a couple of posts by Matthew Anderson over at civil3d.com that show you how.

They are here:-

http://www.civil3d.com/2008/10/restoring-classic-layer-filters/

and here :-

http://www.civil3d.com/2009/06/layer-filters-2010/

Also the location of the registry key he specifies is different if running on a 64 bit OS, for my vista 64bit the key is located as below for Civil 3d 2010

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R18.0\ACAD-8000:409\Applications\AcLayer\Extensions

I can also confirm that the registry edit also work for 2011, with the same change being made in the registry key below for the 64 bit version on vista 64 bit.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R18.1\ACAD-9000:409\Applications\AcLayer\Extensions

Just tried and this still works on 2012, you just need to make the modification in the keys

For 32bit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R18.2\ACAD-A000:409\Applications\AcLayer\Extensions

For 64bit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R18.2\ACAD-A000:409\Applications\AcLayer\Extensions

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 3 of 9

You should also post this in the AutoCAD newsgroup.

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 9
sakka252
in reply to: gccdaemon

Just and FYI ... in the past (2010 and earlier, don't think I've used in 2011) when I used this method to import layer filters, the drawing picked up two max text string errors when auditing.  However, audit could not fix the errors, but thankfully they seemed benign.  An autodesk support representative was able to fix the errors with audit.

So you may get uncorrectable drawing errors with this method, but they seem benign.

Message 5 of 9

The links to Matthew Anderson's workaround for this problem no longer works - removed??

Anyway, editing the registry, what are the actual names and values of keys required?

Any help would be much appreciated - I have just spent a long time creating a set of filters, not realising that they wouldn't be saved within Layer State.

I am currently on ACAD 2011 32bit 

Message 6 of 9

The update links are

http://www.civil4d.com/2008/10/restoring-classic-layer-filters/

and

http://www.civil4d.com/2009/06/layer-filters-2010/

Just in case, here is the copied text

Thank you for contacting Autodesk Support. Unfortunately, the Import/Export layer Functionality was removed from Civil 3D 2009.  However, have a workaround that will hopefully meet your needs.

There is a command called CLASSICLAYER. This command should bring you the older Layer Manager with all of the commands. However, to get this to work correctly, we need to modify the Registry slightly. To add the required Windows Registry:

1. On the Start menu (Windows), click Run.

2. In the Run dialog box, enter regedit. Click OK.

3. Find the following subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R17.2\ACAD-7000:409\Applications\AcLayer\Extensions

4. Double-click the ADT String Value.

5. In the Edit String dialog box, in the Value Data text box, enter AecLayerManagerEx.dll and click OK.

The next time you launch Civil 3D, type CLASSICLAYER. You should now get a new dialog box that has the correct commands. Keep in mind that the “old” civil layer manager will still function as before. You can modify the CUI to add a button or change the Layer Toolbar to launch this Classic Layer Manager instead, although it will not be dockable.

For 2010 on 32 bit OS

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R18.0\ACAD-8000:409\Applications\AcLayer\Extensions

For 2010 on 64 bit OS

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R18.0\ACAD-8000:409\Applications\AcLayer\Extensions

For 2011

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R18.1\ACAD-9000:409\Applications\AcLayer\Extensions

for 2012

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R18.2\ACAD-A000:409\Applications\AcLayer\Extensions

As Matthew says in this post, the change does not work on the classic layer manager in 2010 and above but works on the new layer manager.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Civil 3d 2021
Message 7 of 9
TrevN
in reply to: andrewpuller3811

Ok, what about running Civils 3D as AutoCAD? Where in the regisrty do you change the layer manager?

I would like to have thew option to run it as AC rather than Civils.

Cheers

Message 8 of 9
andrewpuller3811
in reply to: TrevN

Looks like running as autocad only disables the layer manger extension from what I can work out.

What about running it as civil 3d and use the 2d Drafting & Annotation Workspace?

This will allow access to the layer manger extension with all the tools of autocad showing.

I tried putting the layer manger extension in the autocad area of the registry as opposed to the civil 3d area but it did not work.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Civil 3d 2021
Message 9 of 9
TrevN
in reply to: andrewpuller3811

That's a shame. There are couple of things that work in Civils as AC that don't work in civils as civils.

Hey ho.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report