AutoCAD Civil 3D Wishes (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone actually like yearly releases?

30 REPLIES 30
Message 1 of 31
Sinc
1404 Views, 30 Replies

Does anyone actually like yearly releases?

I'm seriious.  These yearly releases do nothing but cause me never-ending grief.

If there's anyone out there who REALLY LIKES these yearly release, then please respond, and give an exact reason as to why you think they work.  Also, let us know EXACTLY how large your deployments are, and whether or not you do any customizatiions (such as custom Toolbox Reports, custom Subassemblies, etc.)

I, for one, am going insane over these yearly releases that are only minor improvements, yet simultaneously break tons of things, and create a huge IT headacke with little gain for our productive teams..

Sinc
30 REPLIES 30
Message 21 of 31
jmatthei
in reply to: O.Maille

O'Maille:  That sounds like a great idea.  I second that.

Message 22 of 31
mathewkol
in reply to: Sinc

Third.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 23 of 31

Sinc, I have seen many posts regarding this topic.  I think you are tiptoeing around a common sense solution where all could benefit:

Instead of a yearly release, and since they aren't changing file format. Release a yearly "Service Pack" with the latest and greatest tools in addition to fixes and streamline a single piece of software.  Focus on perfecting a release over 3 years, not re-inventing it.  AND for Autodesk's business model: make the updates "free" to subscription users but a "pay-for-play" for non-subscription users - at a higher cost to them, of course.  This will also increase inter-office compatibility as the base software should then be able to open anything up to 2 years newer without the need to save down.

We have a 33 license setup and we only update every 3 years.  We (I) install the latest version every release to test and save down other firms drawings when necessary, but do not see a need to update every year when most of our users have barely scratched the surface of functionality as it is.  The new additions every year are typically for advanced users and we aren't quite there yet as a whole.

Tony Leggieri
Gutschick, Little & Weber, P.A. (GLW)
CADD Manager
Civil 3D 2023.2.1
Windows 10
Message 24 of 31
O.Maille
in reply to: TonyLeggieri3279

I imagine the commercial aspect of having the "newest" ie. "2013" release is the reason why they do not go down that route.

Ultimately it may be easier (for them) to develop a one time install product with predictable alterations etc.

The problem with upgrading existing installs may be that minor changes (AutoTrack etc..) to the installed product may have dertimental effects on an upgrade. Thus clean install to new folder is their preference.

3yr cycle would be great but might also lead to things being put on the long finger just because a full new product is not coming out.

Message 25 of 31
O.Maille
in reply to: O.Maille

Looks like there is a program for design suite, no sign of one for infrastructure design suite?

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=19165706&linkID=16831209

Message 26 of 31
manateejim

I really think the yearly cycle is done for monetary gain only and when you throw in the non compatible versions you just have too ask why.

If a County, State, Client, upgrades too the latest and greatest, of course everyone else also has too upgrade.

Hope I don't offend anyone but I see this happening all the time working for County Government.  We have been forced too upgrade and have forced others too upgrade also.

I like a ten year cycle with updates sold on an as needed basis.  Unfortunately autodesk would create service pack for sale that would require you too purchase ALL the past updates anyway.Smiley Mad

Message 27 of 31
pcchenard
in reply to: manateejim

For what it's worth I HATE the yearly releases.  They are nothing but a pain in the arse.  We have always been on subscription and would gladly stay on even if there was only a major release every 3-4 years.  I would much rather have a stable product that is being patched regularly as necessary instead of a new bell or wistle evey year.  We only update every 3 years anyhow (we just upgraded to Civil 3D 2012 from Land Desktop 2009, and we are still in a transition period).  As a matter of fact, I just installed Civil 3D 2013 to take test because the survey tools in 2012 seem buggy to me and found even worse problems with survey in 2013.  They have already released a hot fix for one problem, but on other major problem still persists.  It is crap like this that really turns me off of the yearly releases.  There is absolutely no way 2013 should have been released with the problems it had with survey figures.  I cannot believe for a second that anyone even tested the editing of survey figures prior to release.

Message 28 of 31
jmatthei
in reply to: jmatthei

This might sound like a dumb question, but since Land Desktop hasn't had any changes since 2006, why did you pay 6 years of C3D subscription fees to keep the same LDD software for 6 years?  Your firm doesn't really seem like a prime subscription customer.  Couldn't you pay the upgrade fees every 5-6 years and save money overall?

Message 29 of 31
Cadguru42

@jmatthei wrote:

This might sound like a dumb question, but since Land Desktop hasn't had any changes since 2006, why did you pay 6 years of C3D subscription fees to keep the same LDD software for 6 years?  Your firm doesn't really seem like a prime subscription customer.  Couldn't you pay the upgrade fees every 5-6 years and save money overall?

No, because the subscription fee is roughly 10% the cost of a license.  Even if you wait 5 years to just upgrade without subscription it'd be slightly more expensive than just staying on subscription over a 10 year period.  If you upgrade every 3 years without subscription you'd be paying almost double what you would over a 9 year period than if you'd just stay on the subscription.

I hate the yearly release cycle, but the subscription plan is still cheaper overall than not being on it, plus it's easier to budget for a yearly cost than it is for a fluctuating cost every 3 or 5 years.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 30 of 31
DJLxyz

Not anymore.  For some reason I really feel run down with the 2013 issue.  The grind with the software and hardware bugs and glitches is getting to me....in particular Raster Design.

Message 31 of 31
jmatthei

My plea for Revit Civil still stands.

I'll put up with bugginess and incomplete functioning if I can see a work plan that gets us to Revit Civil (or some such compatible thing) in a few years.  Perhaps listing what functions are being developed each year, in order to get us to that unreachable goal of the true site BIM.  '13 at least made some major steps on water mains and railroad corridors, but there's still a long way to go.  Eaglepoint Siteworks (what appears to be #2 in the running) still has major holes as well.  Bentley and Carlson are steps behind Autodesk.

Don't worry, if you say you're going to do 10 things in 2013, and only 7 of them get done, we get that.  Programming's difficult, and we expect that you're not going to achieve every goal completely every year.  Forward progress is always appreciated.  What's frustrating is that we're not seeing that forward momentum most years, and we're not seeing a sense of direction for the software--'13 was the exception with the water mains (although that too is somewhat paltry).  We'd love to be a part of developing a full strategy to get site BIM, but it doesn't appear that Autodesk is involving the end users much in their development process.  I think it would be great if Autodesk would involve us users in charting out the path where the software would go--rather than expending great effort on tools that are rarely used.

Jeremy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report