cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3
mathewkol
858 Views, 2 Replies

Data Shortcuts

Sharing an object requires several steps, set working folder, set current project, create the shortcut, and add a reference. An easy process for sure but one that doesn't come without its potential problems.

I'm looking for this:

A new command DREF that behaves similar to XREF. You are prompted to select a DWG then you're presented with a list of all of the sharaible objects within that DWG. You select, say, a surface then the program performs all of the necessary steps from my first paragraph behind the scenes, creates the shortcut and adds it to the Prospector's shortcut list, and adds the reference to the current file all in one step without needeing to even set the current project first.

What do you think? The underlying technology doesn't need to change; this routine simply automates the process, especially not having to open the source fike and create that shortcut manually. That file could be unweildy and if you don't have to open it, so much the better.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Kevin.Spear
in reply to: mathewkol

i was thinking of this the other day. In fact, if you use the plan production tools, those civil objects are shortcuts into the new files that get created, even without a project being setup.

How is that possible? Hadn't thought about it before.  But somehow there are links to those original objects in the new sheet files. If only they would expose that maybe?

I can understand why not, just to keep the data sharing process simple i would think...

Kevin

Thanks
Kevin

Kevin Spear, PE
Message 3 of 3
troma
in reply to: mathewkol

Been on my wishlist since the first day I ever created a data shortcut.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report