Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2D Drafting only Mode

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
chrisd
1010 Views, 5 Replies

2D Drafting only Mode

I would like the option to work with in 2D using 3D files without the requirement to flatten.

I see it working something like this. When Osnap is turned on AutoCAD would give me the option to ignore Z values. This means all lines would be drawn at a specified Z value (more often zero) and I would not have to use the flatten command in order to fillet etc.

Additionally I would also like it when the 2D drafting only mode is set to on, AutoCAD would to ask me what elevation I want to work too (for example Z default 0 or 100 etc)

I find that I do spend quite a bit of time flattening bits and pieces when working on 3D files, when all I want is for the two (2D & 3D) to tie in together a bit easier. I think this would be a very useful tool for cadies and engineers alike.

Cheers,
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: chrisd

Just make a button with the "osnapz" command.

Bill

wrote in message
news:6230409@discussion.autodesk.com...
I would like the option to work with in 2D using 3D files without the
requirement to flatten.

I see it working something like this. When Osnap is turned on AutoCAD would
give me the option to ignore Z values. This means all lines would be drawn
at a specified Z value (more often zero) and I would not have to use the
flatten command in order to fillet etc.

Additionally I would also like it when the 2D drafting only mode is set to
on, AutoCAD would to ask me what elevation I want to work too (for example Z
default 0 or 100 etc)

I find that I do spend quite a bit of time flattening bits and pieces when
working on 3D files, when all I want is for the two (2D & 3D) to tie in
together a bit easier. I think this would be a very useful tool for cadies
and engineers alike.

Cheers,
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

Hi chris,

Why not use the existing tools to do this.

Look under the Drafting tab in the Options form for OSNAP Settings.

Regards,

Laurie Comerford

chrisd@cheal.co.nz wrote:
> I would like the option to work with in 2D using 3D files without the requirement to flatten.
>
> I see it working something like this. When Osnap is turned on AutoCAD would give me the option to ignore Z values. This means all lines would be drawn at a specified Z value (more often zero) and I would not have to use the flatten command in order to fillet etc.
>
> Additionally I would also like it when the 2D drafting only mode is set to on, AutoCAD would to ask me what elevation I want to work too (for example Z default 0 or 100 etc)
>
> I find that I do spend quite a bit of time flattening bits and pieces when working on 3D files, when all I want is for the two (2D & 3D) to tie in together a bit easier. I think this would be a very useful tool for cadies and engineers alike.
>
> Cheers,
Message 4 of 6
chrisd

I may be being a little bit blind with this. But I am not sure what or where or how to use the 'existing command'. Please can you be a bit more descriptive in how I activating it so I can find it and so I know you understand what functionality I am after.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.
Message 5 of 6
JeffPaulsen

I think this was posted above but to clarify:

Either use the OSNAPZ variable (more info in help) or in Options on the Drafting tab check the box near "Replace Z value with current elevation". They both do the same thing.
Jeff Paulsen
Civil 3D 2020.4 | Win 10 Pro N 64-bit
Xeon W-2223 @ 3.60GHz, 32GB Ram | NVidia Quadro P2200
Message 6 of 6
chrisd

I misunderstood first time. Have it now and its sorted. It is one of those ones that snuck past me somehow. This will be very useful in our office.

Thanks,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report