Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my water under the pipe and not in it?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Joe-Bouza
658 Views, 9 Replies

Why is my water under the pipe and not in it?

I don't see any error reports. What would it mean when the water fill is not in the pipe? This is an existing pipe network - I know it looks silly.

stormpipe.PNG

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Sure your not using perforated pipes? I couldn't let this one go!

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

Hello Joseph,

Can you please let me know the steps so that I can reproduce this at my end. I think software is doing something wrong here.

Thanks

Amit Garg

Message 4 of 10
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Anonymous

I would have pssed it up either Smiley Wink

Joe Bouza
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 10
Joe-Bouza

I agree - It looks way wrong. And when I first became an engineer I worked for this older fellow that liked to say "if it looks right it's probably right...If it looks wrong its probably wrong.... he was pretty smart.

This may get complicatd to wright, but I'll try.

1. exported civil3d parcels for my sub-basins

2.hear is where it got tricky ( maybe too tricky) I created  a Map3d. shp file of the parcels and an excel spread sheet with %impervious, eqiv width,.. off hand cant recall but ther wer other inputs for the subbasins. Then using map I joined the  input parameter to the parcel.shp file.

3. In SSA I used the GIS import to add the input parameter to each sub-basin

4. then I added the pipe network fro civil3d

5. tied the appropriate subbasin to inlets

6. run analysis : Modified Rational, user defined Tc, Hydrodynamic (thank you) routing

I thin my little input file trick may have messed thing up.., Ican post my spf file tomorrow in the afternoon. Thanks

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 6 of 10
Joe-Bouza

I cant attach an spf file ?

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
Matt.Anderson

Zip the file and attach.

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 8 of 10
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Matt.Anderson

Thanks. Can't see the forest through the weeds Smiley Very Happy I not sure how to interpret the results, it tells me I have flow but the HGL and Max HGL lines make no sense, particularly since it does not display water. I've been mucking around with the storm duration but nothing seems to change. I appreciate you taking a look if you can.

I modified my sub-basins since the plot show(I'm sure they were hosed up from me trying to get cute with GIS)

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 9 of 10
Matt.Anderson

Ok - 

1. Modified Rational duration of 1440 minutes - yet your rainfall amount stops at 60 minutes.  Add additional durations to complete the IDF curve so that the duration of the storm matches the appropriate rainfall.
  2. Plain Rational method will select the PEAK runoff from each basin.
  3. Modified Rational looks at Volume of overall runoff - if you had a pond - this would be important.
  4. Watch the Node Starting WSEL for you catchbasins - they are "extracting" flow from the system and holding it.  

Not sure why the water "drops" as you show in the OP.

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 10 of 10
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Matt.Anderson

@Matt.Anderson wrote:

Ok - 

1. Modified Rational duration of 1440 minutes - yet your rainfall amount stops at 60 minutes.  Add additional durations to complete the IDF curve so that the duration of the storm matches the appropriate rainfall.
  2. Plain Rational method will select the PEAK runoff from each basin.
  3. Modified Rational looks at Volume of overall runoff - if you had a pond - this would be important.
  4. Watch the Node Starting WSEL for you catchbasins - they are "extracting" flow from the system and holding it.  

Not sure why the water "drops" as you show in the OP.

Thanks for taking the time so late on a friday.

I had the duration initially set for 60 minute, I cranked to see if that was the prob.

I am looking for the volume runoff for a pond. where does Mod Ration tell me this?

what should the WSEL be? Those are default from importing from civil3d

Have a great weekend

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report