Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STAGE STORAGE EXTENSION CALCULATION ERROR - CIVIL 3D 2010

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
geographic
2901 Views, 14 Replies

STAGE STORAGE EXTENSION CALCULATION ERROR - CIVIL 3D 2010

I have created an irregular shaped pond and wish to check the as-built volume of this pond. When I run the stage storage extension I get a volume which is 26,000 cubic metres less than when I manually calculate volumes!!

I am using a tin surface to generate pond volumes.

I have had a colleague create a separate surface model (in another software package) and then carry out an independant check of volumes.  His calculations were within 500 cubic metres of my manual calcs.

Does anyone have any information concerning the accuracy of the stage storage extension in 2010?

Regards

Rod

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Matt.Anderson
in reply to: geographic

Can you attach the drawing?  The SSE calculates the volume based on the areas of the contours selected by either end-area or cubic forumulas.

Do you have multiple contours at the same elevation?

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 3 of 15
geographic
in reply to: Matt.Anderson

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for getting in touch. I have attached a copy of the drawing. You will see that I have trimmed the surface back to the edge of the pond to eliminate any additional parts of the greater surface adversely affecting the stage storage calculations.

I have also attached a table from my colleague (XLS file) which shows his calculations. The linework in this drawing is his - I have created the surface and stage storage tables only. Due to file size limitations I willsend SSE table in separate table/email.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Kind Regards

Rod Forrest

Message 4 of 15
geographic

Matt,

Attached is a copy of the table from the SSE function in CIVIL 3D. I inserted the table into the drawing and then exported to a CSV file.

When I look at my contour areas between Elevations 374.5 and 379.5 they are pretty much in agreement with those of my colleagues - see attched xls file. The problem seems to be with the volume calc. eg; compare volumes at 379.5m on xls file and SSE table - they differ by about 26,000 cubic metres at that elevation.

Regards

Rod

Message 5 of 15
Matt.Anderson

Unfortunately, your situation isn't unique, but the problem occurs in that the tool doesn't handle multiple areas at the same elevation adequately or properly.  You should notice that there are areas (large ones in fact) that don't add to the volume of your pond.

Please open a Support ticket.  Your work around is to take the exported areas, sum those indivual disconnected areas, and prepare a table as you did.

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 6 of 15
envirocad

I have the same problem with the Stage Storage Extension. I have an existing pond surface with multiple contour intervals of the same elevations in some spots. The calculations from the stage storage extension is totally off compared to just making a rectangular surface at a specified water elevation and then using the Volumes tool.

Is this problem fixed in Civil 3D 2011 ? Is there a way to fix this in 2010 ?

Thanks,

Scottie

Civil 3D 2011
Windows 7 64bit
12GB RAM
Message 7 of 15
Matt.Anderson

Please open a support request with your reseller or with Autodesk Support.  It would be nice to get a copy of your drawing file with that request.

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 8 of 15
kevinjackman

Same issues here.  A hotfix would be nice.

Message 9 of 15
geographic
in reply to: kevinjackman

I opened a support request about six weeks ago. I did recieve an email saying that they had recieved my request and that it would be dealt with directly - since then ........nothing. I am still waiting on some action or at least maybe someone can tell me what the plan is; will there be a hot fix? do we have to wait until the next release? 

A disappointing level of customer support!

Rod

Message 10 of 15
Matt.Anderson

Unfortunately, the Stage-Storage tool isn't geared for multiple contour areas at the same elevation, so you are limited to the ability to grab those elevations and preparing an Excel table to calculate the overall volume via Stage-Storage.   The tool compares each line as if it should calculate to the adjacent one, so in the case of many areas, anything beyond the first area isn't counted in the overall volume.

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 11 of 15
geographic

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your feedback. It is a pity that someone from Autodesk could not have told me that six weeks ago, instead of leaving me thinking that it was being dealt with.

I would have thought however that the ability to show stage storage volumes would have been a real assest to anyone designing ponds or dams which as not rectangular and which may include contours at the same elevation - I am sure this happens a lot!

Thanks for getting back to me.

Regards

Rod

Message 12 of 15
Matt.Anderson

Please review my comments to your original post on 6-17.  

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 13 of 15
bberry

curious...

this is not an issue in 2014 right?

Message 14 of 15
johncollins6287
in reply to: bberry

Still an issue in 2017! This is unacceptable, as the accuracy of these calculations is critical! Very disappointed

Message 15 of 15
SephR

Still happening in 2022.

Our team won't be using the automated stage storage tool going forward. We'll be manually extracting contours, cleaning them up, getting their areas, and then manually entering contour data to define the basin. Basically the same procedure as using Excel.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report