Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSA Help

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
bf
Advocate
664 Views, 8 Replies

SSA Help

SSA has the worst help files.  Is any other literature out there on how this program works and best practices?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
kiyabole
in reply to: bf

You could get Mastering civil 3D 2012 or 2013 book where there are tutorials

Kiya Chemeda
Civil 3D 2013
HP Pavilion dv6 cor i7
16GB RAM
windows 8
Message 3 of 9
bf
Advocate
in reply to: kiyabole

I'm using 2011 and it's a complex job. I used it before on simpler jobs with no hiccups.  The help tells me stuff can be done but not really how best to do it.  Alot of trial and error and who has time for that? 

Message 4 of 9
rdbrennan48

what specifically are you trying to model. A lot of the help that I found was by reading through the forums and other peoples problems.

Message 5 of 9
bf
Advocate

I'm trying to determine how high the water gets above the grates of inlets in the midst of multiple intersecting roadways.  So they are in a basin of sorts and wanting to see how close to the edge of road it gets.  Multiple inlets per depression. 

Message 6 of 9
rdbrennan48

I would try modeling the roadway and right or way surface as a detention basin. I usually se the intakes up as a junction and and orifice as an outlet fromt he basin. You can set multiple orifice elevations if your intakes had different rim elevations. If you go that route make sure that your junctions have the same rim elevations as the top of your surface for the basin. Otherwise the HGL cals could be off.

Message 7 of 9
bf
Advocate

Hey.  I'm intrigued by what you've said.  I didn't think you could build surfaces in SSA.  Do you mean using a storage node? 

Message 8 of 9
jalneal

For multiple inlets in a ponding area that merges together (one big pool, multiple inlets) I'd create a single storage node, then create multiple weirs, orifices, or other conveyance links to manage overflows, etc.  Once pools join together, as long as they are equitably separated as they stage down, this is an easy way to go.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alan Neal, P.E.
Autodesk Infrastructure Suite Premium 2012/2013
Windows 7, x64
Xeon E31225 w/ Quadro 600
Message 9 of 9
rdbrennan48

A storage node would represent the ponding area in the road. I typically get the storage data from a surface in Civil3D. I usually create two storage nodes per set of intakes at a sag. One for the right side and one for the left, there would be an imaginary line down the center of the road seperating the two storage areas. I then connect the two storage nodes with a weir, elevation equal to the elevation at center line. You then have the orifices going into the junctions for your intakes and either weir or channel links as the overflow from the storage nodes to you next basin.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report