Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSA Culvert help

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
millermccoy
938 Views, 3 Replies

SSA Culvert help

is storage node required for the inlet HW?

if so...how are they set up?

I looked at the culvert example that comes with SSA, and they use storage curve for the storage shape. Does the storage curve have to hold the flow before it enters the culvert?

2015 Civil 3D
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
rdbrennan48
in reply to: millermccoy

I believe the storage curve would just give you more accurate head charistericts to calculate inlet vs. outlet control.

Message 3 of 4
millermccoy
in reply to: rdbrennan48

If the storage area is not big enough then there is flow loss that doesn't get into the system...I don't remember HEC 5 taking the HW storage area into account for culvert design.

2015 Civil 3D
Message 4 of 4
jalneal
in reply to: millermccoy

I would recommend using a stoage curve if you believe that a level pool exists above the culvert.  This is often the case with small culverts with high head.  

If a channel is fairly large and the pool would back up a long ways, make sure you don't include the full length of a channel in the same area where you have created stage-storage data or you are duplicating the storage effect.  If you don't expect a level pool, I'd just put the full length of the channel to the culvert and use a junction for the upstream node. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alan Neal, P.E.
Autodesk Infrastructure Suite Premium 2012/2013
Windows 7, x64
Xeon E31225 w/ Quadro 600

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report