Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSA 2013 simple flow into pipe

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
carl
708 Views, 4 Replies

SSA 2013 simple flow into pipe

I have a simple catchment area that I've routed to an inlet and then to an outfall.  The 10 year storm peak flow going into the inlet is 3.91 cfs and my flow in the link to the outfall is 10.55 cfs.  I do not understand why it is increasing going into the pipe. I've attached the pdf results here because for some reason it won't let me attach.spf file.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
carl
in reply to: carl

Here is the file in a zip folder.

Message 3 of 5
rdbrennan48

From what I noticed, it looks like the pipe is just picking up velocity. If you drop the pipe down to 0.50% you do get 3.9cfs.

Message 4 of 5
carl
in reply to: rdbrennan48

I'm wondering if the slope of the pipe is increasing my flow by such a large amount.  I'm thinking it has to be some other reason that I am missing. I've attached a simple example here.  The flow goes from 2.2 entering the inlet to 7.7 cfs when the slope of the pipe is 5.5%.  I've reduced the pipe slope down to 1.5% and it still amost doubles the peak flow once it enters the pipe.  This doesn't make sense to me and it's causing my pipe to surcharge. 

Please help if you can.  Thank you.

Message 5 of 5
carl

Is it because of the Link routing method?  I think when I change it to hydrodynamic in the project options it fixes the problem.  What does that link routing method change?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report