Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rim elevation not the elevation of the surface referenced

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
mlangley
3650 Views, 6 Replies

rim elevation not the elevation of the surface referenced

Does any one know why this happens? I noticed that no matter which surface I have associated to my null structures, it always makes up an inlet/rim elevation and not the elevation of the surface referenced. This makes the ground in my profiles look messed up until i go in and reassign the correct elevations.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
sjg
Advisor
in reply to: mlangley

I usually have my storm in its own drawing and then dref in my surface. That way the storm won't affect the surface.  If they are in the same drawing you can put the storm in its own site.

Steve Goessling
Land Consultants
Civil3D 2015
Windows 7, 64 bit
Intel i7 2600 @ 3.40Ghz
16 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 600
Message 3 of 7
Matt.Anderson
in reply to: sjg

Structures don't affect surfaces and don't reside within a site.  Dref'd surfaces are nice way to work on storm design while someone else is grading the site.

I have seen Structures that contain frames push the frame above the surface elevation because they violated the minimum structure cover + manhole cone + frame height.

I haven't used null structures frequently enough to notice.  Can you provide a sample drawing that exhibits this behavior?

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 4 of 7
ccoles

I'd also like to know how your using it.

I didn't know null structures had rims. I have these structures set to a 'No Plot' layer, because I use them when I need to make a change in a pipe, like change slope or direction without using a structure, like a manhole or inlet. Basically, I use null structures like bends, wye's, tees, and couplers/reducers. They also come in handy when your trying to model flexible pipe that is following a ground contour line.

If I need to run up to a rim elevation, I'll use one of the more traditional structures, like an inlet or manhole.

Windows 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5610, Dual-Xeon 2.6Ghz, 16 Gig RAM
Civil 3D 2013
Message 5 of 7
tewjoe

I have the same issue. I try to visualize withouth turning them off and they are very distracting. 

The only fix I have found is to create the pipe first and then attach the null structure to it; it will keep the elevation. If you have ones you created previously I woudl delete those and reattach a new null stucture to the end. I fake in the flared end sections for storm and culverts with the null structure since the flared end section that is included in part builder is completely useless.

Who in their right mind woudl think a flared end section is controlled by the end that attaches to the pipe? We both survey topo in the field and stake out for proposed constrcution the other end of the pipe; but that is another story. 

Good luck 🙂

Message 6 of 7
karen.cohen
in reply to: tewjoe

I have this same problem with Manholes, Not Null structures, the rim elevations are not reading the surface.

Just loaded 2015 a few weeks ago, never had this problem with 2012.

Why the difference.

Also Manholes seem less dynamic in 2015, I moved the location of a structure using a grip, and now it does not show up in my profile.

When I "zoom to" under Proscpector tab, it zooms to 0,0 not to the plan location like it should.

Any ideas? Do I have a corrupt version of this porgram? All service packs are up to date.

Message 7 of 7
Hidden_Brain
in reply to: karen.cohen

Take a look at the barrel clearance properties for the MH. If the pipes are coming into the MH too high, the rim will be pushed up, and the MH will not honor the reference surface anymore.

After you move the MH with its grip, move (or add a PI) to the pipe centerline alignment as well that is snapped to the center of MH in plan. the MH should show up again in profile view.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report