Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reality Check please

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Joe-Bouza
361 Views, 4 Replies

Reality Check please

Hi, I have attached my stm file and hope someone could check me on this. I took this existing system and entered known flows where given and did not bother with areas or Tc, then ran analysis without changing inverts or pipes to see the HGL ends up. Well the  HGL is 90 ft above grade! The flooding is bad but not that bad. Can I do what I'm doing or am I confusing the software? Thanks

You'll have to change the extension to stm - the board would not let me post as stm? Weird

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
AllenJessup
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Joe,

I can't check the file right now. But what you describe sounds familiar. We had similar results when entering limited data for an existing storm system. We checked the calculations by hand and came up with similar results. It looks like it takes the the water and raises the TGL as if the pipes had no top. So It's not saying that the water would be 90' AGL

Although the results were not realistic. We could still see the effect of theoretical changes. So the model was still useful.

I hope you find this helpful.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
Joe-Bouza

Hi Allen, Yes I do find it helpful.

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 4 of 5
Matt.Anderson

Joe, without looking at the model, it is entirely possible to calculate extremely high HGL based in the pipe friction, entrance or orifice control. I you walk the network, you can see the calculated capacity, and the capacity you are attempting to push into it.

If you need to simulate or calculate surface flow, check into SSA.
Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 5 of 5
Joe-Bouza

Thanks Matt, I agree and you and Allen re-affirm my assesment. I needed that to take the results to my super.

SSA is a seperate down load for 2011?

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report