Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe to Inlet Connection

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1087 Views, 5 Replies

Pipe to Inlet Connection

I know this can be done because I have seen it done, but I don't remember how it was done.

I want to connect the pipe to my inlet, but not in the center of the inlet, at the midpoint of one of the sides. I know it has something to do with possibly the block I am referencing or something, but I can't find it.

Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

You can change the structure style to incorporate a block as the displayed
item in plan view, however the pipe will still actually be connecting to the
midpoint. This may or may not have ramifications for you, so you'll have to
check the profile display, etc., to make sure it doesn't produce any
unacceptable, unintended consequences.

I forget the names of everything to get where you set it, but if you go into
a structure style, it should be fairl easy to spot.

wrote in message news:6029190@discussion.autodesk.com...
I know this can be done because I have seen it done, but I don't remember
how it was done.

I want to connect the pipe to my inlet, but not in the center of the inlet,
at the midpoint of one of the sides. I know it has something to do with
possibly the block I am referencing or something, but I can't find it.

Thanks.
Message 3 of 6
Jepps
in reply to: Anonymous

This original post in this thread summarizes my question, but I'm not sure the answer addresses the question.  I am currently working in 2008, but will be moving to 2011 in the near future.

The pipe will be constructed to the midpoint of the wall on a rectangular structure, but I haven't found a way to get it shown as such in plan view.  Can this be done in C3D 2008 and/or 2011?

Thank you

Message 4 of 6
aaronbarnhart2002
in reply to: Jepps

Pipes attaching the sides of a rectangular structure would seem to make the most sense to me from a modeling standpoint, but It's been my experience that Civil 3D is not designed to function that way (we are using 2011).

I have been able to grip edit the end of the pipe and using object snap attach it the side of the structure, though occasionally the pipe becomes detached from the structure.  Even when they remain connected, the pipe invert changes after the snap and must be edited, moving the structure will make the pipe end jump back to the center of the structure, and pipes angling out of a structure will not project to the structure correctly. 

Hopefully this is something that will change with the 2012 version.

Message 5 of 6
ccoles
in reply to: Jepps

We use a block to represent our structures that uses a hatch in the middle. We just make sure the structures are on the top of the drawing order to mask out the pipe running into it to the middle of the structure. We also use the 'mask' function on structures in profiles.

There is also a label expression that allows you to show the pipe length from inside edge of the box to inside edge of the box. This is what we use on our plans. However, we had to make a custom expression to show the slope based on this length, because the standard slope expression still measures from center of structure to center of structure. This becomes a problem with short runs of pipe.

Windows 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5610, Dual-Xeon 2.6Ghz, 16 Gig RAM
Civil 3D 2013
Message 6 of 6
tony1978
in reply to: ccoles

i like to sometimes just add a null structure at the wall of you curb inlet. you will need to turn off your structure part maskign in order to set the slope of the small pipe run inside the curb inlet. Dont forget to add that small pipe run in the profile also because if you dont u wont see it because of the structure part masking. After youre dont turn the structure part masking back on.

tony

senior design tech

www.tonyscivil3dworld.blogspot.com

Tony Carcamo

President/Owner

Civil CAD Learning Solutions

DFW BIM Infrastructure User Group

LinkedIn | Twitter | Instagram | DFWBIUG |User Group

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report