Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Orifice Rating Curve Calculated Incorrectly in SSA

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
kahligsm
1782 Views, 3 Replies

Orifice Rating Curve Calculated Incorrectly in SSA

I noticed today that the orifice rating curve for orifices is being calculated incorrectly in SSA.  The head is being calculated to the orifice invert instead of to the orifice centerline.  This probably has a minor (or no) effect if tailwater conditions are present, but it is still annoying.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
fcernst
in reply to: kahligsm

Is it doing it beyond the unsubmerged orifice calculation that uses weir flow until orifice submergence? Let me know.  See below:

Capture.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 3 of 4
fcernst

I didn't find this to be the case running a quick test on a headwater submerged 1' diameter circular side orifice with g=32.2 ft/s^2 and PI out to 15 digits.

Their diagram in the Help is incorrect (see second image below). H for a headwater submerged orifice should be measured to the centroid of the orifice.

I hope they are using EPA SWMM engine release 5.0.019 or higher, where the Villemonte correction for downstream submergence in partially full orifices was added.

jjCapture.JPG

jjCapture2.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 4 of 4
Matt.Anderson

The dialog box rating curve incorrectly calculates orifice flow's H.  This rating curve is not used in the hydraulic routing calculations performed by the analysis engine.  I have notified the development team of the issue in the dialog box and in the help file.

The Villemonte correction changes from the EPA SWMM 5.0.19 engine are included in SSA 2012 and 2013.

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report