Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Labels in SSA

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
1038 Views, 12 Replies

Network Labels in SSA

I imported my storm drain network from Civil 3D into SSA.  Within SSA it now identifies all links and junctions with a prefix of the network name in brackets.  I would rather it simply read "Pipe 01" rather than "{Storm Drain}.Pipe 01"  When I manually edit the name it looks fine, but the network name still shows up in the plan view.  FYI, I don't want to bring the network back to Civil 3D so losing the network reference is OK.

Thanks

Jesse

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Jesse,

Did you ever find a solution?

Regards, Steve

Message 3 of 13
Matt.Anderson

The Network name accompanies the LandXML import.

To avoid the Network name, use the Hydraflow STM file to transfer data from Civil 3d to SSA and back again.

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 4 of 13
rdisacks
in reply to: Matt.Anderson

I know this an older topic......but I am having trouble editing the "link labels".....I imported a storm network from Civil 3D and its preventing me from making edits to the link id labels. I want to shorten the labels for an exhibit.....right now they are very long. I don't want to re-import the network, since I have made edits and have added nodes (ponds, weirs, orifices, etc.)

Any tips would be appreciated!

Message 5 of 13
bforr
in reply to: rdisacks

Would be nice to be able to edit this info.  I see the original post was in 2011.  Nothing in 4 years?  Come on.

Message 6 of 13
rdisacks
in reply to: bforr

This isn't the only issue Autodesk hasn't fixed with SSA in 4 years! It should be a crime for them to sell software knowing it contains obvious errors.  

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous

Please expand on your comment.  I know the software isn't perfect, but general statements like that don't help everyone else in the forum.  My main problem has been unstability in the model when using culverts.  Putting in 'direct' links is always a challenge as well.  Any additional 'major' flaws you have had in your experience using SSA would be nice to know about so that we can all build better models.  Thanks.

Message 8 of 13
bforr
in reply to: bforr

It would be nice to be able to edit the labels of entities brought in through landxml and get rid of the bracketed text.  It also would be nice to be able to move the labels around.  These maps have to be included in drainage report submittals.  I always have to talk to the reviewer on large projects with elaborate systems because the labels overwrite one another. 

Another thing I've noticed.  After running an analysis and having to change things up, sometimes you get the same results.  I have to shut it down and open back up to get new results.

Message 9 of 13
MattAndersonPE

Rdisacks -

When you import a named pipe network from LandXML - the Network Name is not edittable within the application.  SSA utilizes the {NetworkName}.{LinkID} convention to keep track of the networks for export if they used on import.

The only edittable element is the LinkID.

There are two ways to avoid this issue. 

You can utilize the EditinSSA command from within Civil 3D at the start of the project. (Manually, the Hydraflow Storm Sewers files will also accomplish this)

or

You can remove the name section from the LandXML <PipeNetwork > line.  A Pipe Network without a network name is imported without the {NetworkName} convention.  

Matt Anderson
Product Manager
Message 10 of 13
rdisacks

A couple of the major flaws I have come across are calculation errors when using metric units in SSA 2014 and also the Hydrographs extension. The errors are in regards to runoff volumes and peak runoff rates. It took me a bit to figure out what was happening but realized it was a decimal point error within the program. Also, in one of the runoff volume calculation operations, the program incorrectly refers to the volume as m3, when it is actually in L.

Also, I believe there is something wrong with the HGL profile operation.....the calculated HGL elevations seem fine in the data table, but for some reason the "blue" HGL tick marks in the profile don't match the elevations shown in the table. The profiles are sometimes nice to use in reports.

.....with the network name/labeling issue I have started naming the networks with a sole period '.'   Helps the labels look better on Exhibits.

Message 11 of 13
rdisacks
in reply to: MattAndersonPE

Matt,

Thanks for the tip. However, why is it that some of these simple calculation errors that I'm seeing with metric units have not been fixed?

An Autodesk dealer at a conference told me a few months ago that Autodesk was moving all their Programmers/Engineers to concentrate on Infraworks and was the reason why these errors aren't being fixed. Is this true?

Ron

Message 12 of 13
bforr
in reply to: MattAndersonPE

so if I were to export my SSA file as is to xml, I could edit that file and import into a new file and everything would be exactly how it is?  Inverts, lengths, coefficients...etc.

I will start editing the xml file to remove the network name or start abbreviating my pipe networks name, whichever seems quickest.  For the parcels it brings in the Site name.  Guess I'll do the same.

Message 13 of 13

I’m facing the same issue: I want to remove the {NetworkName} part from the {LinkID} without reimporting. However, the {LinkID} is displayed in the format {NetworkName}.{LinkID}, and I can’t edit it directly in the ‘conveyance links’ window. Is there a command or setting in SSA to remove {NetworkName} and retain only the {LinkID}?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report