Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limitations while round tripping data between SSA and Civil 3D

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
RyanElam
429 Views, 1 Reply

Limitations while round tripping data between SSA and Civil 3D

I'm trying to set up round tripping of pipe networks between SSA and Civil 3D, and there are some things I can not seem to get to happen the way I want them to, and I wanted to know if they were just limitations of the software, or if it's user error.
1. The inlet length for a curb inlet does not export properly out of civil 3d into ssa. The opening length property will export if it is manually input into to the "frame length" or "frame diameter" in the structure properties dialog box. Opening height does not export at all.
2. When you update the inlet opening length in ssa, it does not get reflected back into the civil 3d model upon import.
3. Structure descriptions are lost upon transfer. This is a problem if you use the description in your labels, because anytime you update the hydraulic properties of a section of your network, you have to re-describe everything.

Not being able to adjust the size of a structure in ssa is a big downfall in my opinion. I like ssa over hydraflow because of the ease of adding lines and the additional capabilities, but it seems like both are a bit more cumbersome than necessary.

Thanks,
Ryan
C3D 2013, Win 7 64 bit
Ryan

Civil 3D 2013
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
fcernst
in reply to: RyanElam

Agreed, the Import/Export paradigm Autodesk chose is a horrible implementation for the Drainage tools in civil 3D.

We need to get back to having the drainage tools in Model Space so we can interact directly with our grading models.

Look at the attached file to see just a few examples how the drainage tools interacted directly with a Surface in LDD.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report