Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HEC-RAS Junctions

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
RickCarle-PE
8912 Views, 9 Replies

HEC-RAS Junctions

I'm new to HEC-RAS and trying to use Civil 3D to create my HEC-RAS data.  Thanks to this deiscussion board I think I'm just about there (especially regarding my cross sections and stationing).  The issue I'm having is that when I import the data, HEC-RAS does not create junctions at the intersection of my rivers and reaches.  Basically, I have two rivers with the Main River having two reaches:

1. Main River (upper)

2. Main River (lower)

3. Tributary

Main Creek (upper) intersects Main Creek (lower) where the Tributary intersects Main Creek.  Thus, I should have one junction.  When I click on the junction button in HEC-RAS, it says not junctions exist.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Hidden_Brain
in reply to: RickCarle-PE

once you have the three reaches imported in RAS, zoom in really close to the Y junction area, in HEC-RAS geometry editor, go EDIT>MOVE OBJECT, little blue grips will appear. grab the little blue grip at the end of main river upper reach and move over to the start blue grip of main river lower reach. RAS will prompt you to create a junction and name it. repeat for the tributary. let us know how it goes.

Message 3 of 10
RickCarle-PE
in reply to: Hidden_Brain

That worked.  Thanks.

Message 4 of 10
Hidden_Brain
in reply to: RickCarle-PE

yay!! my first kudos, that too in hydraulic modeling topic! thanks!!

glad i could help.Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 10

Have you tried Project River Analysis?

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 6 of 10

No.  I don't know much about that yet.  I used HEC-RAS becasue of familiarity of the software with our office drainage folks (QC purposes) and with our client.  It's for a public client so it makes it tough some times to try use software that they may not know or be comfortable with yet. 

With that being said, what's your thoughts on the river software vs HEC-RAS?

Message 7 of 10

Project River Analysis is a HEC-RAS interface within AutoCAD Civil 3D.   It provides an interface of using the AutoCAD Civil 3D surface for cutting cross-sections, performing the HEC-RAS analysis and then mapping the floodplain limits.

The analysis can be exported to HEC-RAS, the output reports are HEC-RAS.

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 8 of 10

Thanks Matt.  That sounds like the way I should have gone.  I'll look into that next time.

Message 9 of 10

hey Matt, so this project river analysis ultimately creates a .geo file for RAS import, or can i run HEC-RAS inside a Civil 3D session? if it is the first, i can currently do the same with the free ras extension, and am curious to see what extra the river analysis provides. if it is the latter, that would be sweeettt..

Message 10 of 10

Project River Analysis is an Autodesk Labs extension that performs the later!
Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report