Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating IDF curve based on County storm data

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
lpeavey
3552 Views, 3 Replies

Creating IDF curve based on County storm data

I've created an idf curve based the Santa Clara County data.  They use a specific equation to calculate the intensity (Santa Clara Valley Water District's Return Period-Duration-Specific (TDS) Regional Equation).  I have calculated the intensities, see attached "Rainfall Intensity Spreadsheet".  When I input these intensities for the 5, 15, 30, and 60 minute durations in order to create an idf curve, the intensity values on the curve Hydraflow produces are less than what I input (see "IDF curve").  I've checked my input into the table and it is correct.  The intensity values are a little lower than those required by the County.

For example, the 2 yr - 5 min required is 1.7, but Hydraflow gives 1.58.  It's not off by much but it's different when it should be the same.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Lana

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Matt.Anderson
in reply to: lpeavey

Lana -

The Hydraflow tools provide a quick method to calculate the standard BDE coefficients by entering three durations.

Review http://civil3dpedia.com/2009/10/16/engineering-101-idf-curves/ to manually calculate the correct values.

You may want to review the regression values of the Santa Clara rainfall to see if it fits better with a polynomial set of equations.

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 3 of 4

what kind of data do you need to produce idf curve

I only have direct rainfall data collected daily,is it possible to produce a unit hydrograph out it, and to estimate runoff volume aand intensity
Message 4 of 4
annw2
in reply to: lpeavey

Rather than the chart, did you flip to the co-effiecient tab and see if they are using the same formula as Storm Sewer and see if the coefficients line up?

Ann Wingert, P.E.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report