Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant flow in SSA

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
BrianHailey
1668 Views, 7 Replies

Constant flow in SSA

I have a client that wants to put in a constant flow into an inlet and have SSA calculate the HGL downstream of that (as well as add additional flows at additional inlets). Is there a way to do this? I tried adding an "Initial flow" to a pipe but after running the analysis, that flow wasn't the peak of the pipe (I used 1cfs for the initial flow and the peak was 0.77 cfs).

This is obviously not what I wanted. How do I go about getting this?

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Hidden_Brain
in reply to: BrianHailey

you can add the 1cfs as a "External Inflow" to the inlet, within the Inlet properties window under "Initial Water Surface Elevation" field. if the ponded area of the inlet is set to 100, the results should show a straight line at 1 cfs.

Message 3 of 8
BrianHailey
in reply to: Hidden_Brain

Thanks for the reply but that doesn't seem to be working. If I add 2cfs as an external flow to an inlet (only inlet in a 2 pipe system), the pipes each have a peak flow of almost twice that.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 4 of 8
BrianHailey

I think I got it figured out. I can add an external flow to a junction as well as an inlet. If I set them to junctions and add the external flow, it all goes into the pipe. I have no idea why this didn't work for the inlet.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 5 of 8
BrianHailey

Thinking back on this problem, the peak flow in the pipe absolutely should not be higher then the peak flow to the inlet. Is it possible this is a bug?

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 6 of 8
Hidden_Brain

I have seen flows not adding up when the inlet "Ponded Area" parameter is set to 10 (default) or something. usually setting it to 100 has worked for me in the past. do not ask me what the rationale is, I have never understood the importance of this parameter myself. there are quite a few threads on the DBs on this topic. seems to affect the inlets only, especially when running SCS method.

Message 7 of 8
fcernst

I have a client that wants to put in a constant flow into an inlet and have SSA calculate

Your client is asking you to use the wrong tool for static peak flow analysis.

The correct tool is Hydraflow Storm Sewers for peak flow analysis ( or another HEC 22 methdology standard step software).

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 8 of 8
dolvin.buchanan
in reply to: fcernst

Change your initial upstream node into a storage with a external inflow. The model will then work correctly for simple hydraulics. All the downstream nodes can remain inlets/junctions with external Q's you just need the initial upstream node to be a storage node.

Regards,

Dolvin Buchanan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report