Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot import 2005/08 STM files in C3D 2012/14

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
EDG-Admin
626 Views, 6 Replies

Cannot import 2005/08 STM files in C3D 2012/14

An engineer in our office needs to open .stm files created in SSA 2005 and/or 2008. Current software versions available are C3D 2012 and 2014. Attempting to import displays error "missing required data. Save to latest .stm format to import." We do not have access to older software. It is imperative to be able to read these files for legal issues and not necessarily edit them. The files will likely then be printed into PDF for future accessibility.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Beth Mettle

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
wfberry
in reply to: EDG-Admin

The warning says to save and re-import.   It should just upgrade to your version.

Bill

Message 3 of 7
EDG-Admin
in reply to: wfberry

Thanks for responding Bill.

Even though I have used C3D in the past, I'm not familar with SSA. I do IT support and I get handed all the issues to solve, including CAD.

Am I missing something here? Is there another way to open a STM file in C3D other than importing? If not, then how can I save it when the error occurs during the import? Does it have to be imported into the same drawing it was created in?

Thank you

Beth

Message 4 of 7
wfberry

Beth:

I hope I can do this justice.  I was hoping someone that is a veteran would step in.

Facts:

SSA (an independent program installed with Civil 3D) opens and closes files with the .spf suffix. 

Storm Sewers  (another independent program installed with Civil 3D) opens and closes with the .stm suffix.

SSA will export and import .stm files. (or it should).

Both SSA and Storm Sewers are independent programs that may require Civil 3D to be opened for them to open.  Once opened, Civil 3D can be closed if necessary.

Just a few notes.

If you want perhaps another eye, you could send me the .stm file(s) and I could see if I could import or whatever.

Bill

wfberry at bellsouth.net

Message 5 of 7
EDG-Admin

Hi Bill,

Again, thanks for your reply. And you have cleared some of the confusion!

I found the external Sanitary and Sewer Analysis program that opens project files (.spf) and will import Hydroflow files (.stm). When importing an older STM file I get a blank screen showing no results. I know the program is working because I can open a STM file that was created 2 months ago in the 2012 version. I have also installed the C3D 2012 32bit object enabler (as I read somewhere) to work with older files. But no success yet with the older files.

I am grateful for you asking to try and open these files. I hope you are able to.

Thanks

Beth

Message 6 of 7
wfberry

Beth:

You should have received the .spf files that I sent you by now.  Just for others:  I had a 2009 version of Storm Sewers that opened up Beth's .stm files.  All I did was save them. (Open and saved)

SSA imported them quite easily.  Now I will wait to see if Beth has any problems.

Bill

Message 7 of 7
EDG-Admin

Well, I’m happy to say the issue has been resolved! Not only with the files you converted Bill, but with a clear understanding of the difference between Storm Sewers Extension and SSA extension.

In my first post, I stated I could not get the STM files to import into C3D using Storm Sewer command. Little did I know, the Storm Sewer import was just the tip of the iceberg. You kept mentioning Storm Sewers as an extension and I did not catch on to that piece of information. The only extension I could see, from the Start menu Programs, was SSA. Having not used C3D in five years, I was sure SSA was the program being used here with C3D 2010. But others here in the office disagreed and said that SSA was not the same program they had used before and that SSA2012  would not read the older files. With post and email regarding Storm Sewers being on the Start menu and a side note I found in a C3D training manual, I FINALLY found the Launch Hydrology Storm Sewers command from the Design menu in Analysis tab! Sweeeet!

So far the older files are opening in Hydrology Storm Sewers just fine.

So I thank you immensely for taking the time to help clear things up.

Thank you!!

Beth

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report