Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C3D13 Export to Storm Sewers HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANGS

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
297 Views, 3 Replies

C3D13 Export to Storm Sewers HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANGS

Hi All,

Thank you for taking the time to consider my issue.

We have a fairly large sewer project on a university campus that requires us to model most of the small town its next to as well as the entire campus. We have completed the model of pipes and structures. Unfortunately, C3D wont export a SSA file. It literally just sits and spins all day and night. The model is somewhat large, originally 300+ pairs of manholes and pipes. But there is nothing else really in the file expect a few polylines and text and some external references. Last week we went through trying to reduce the number of parts in the model hoping we could export it out easier. I think we got to about half of the original number of parts. But this hasnt proved successful. Every machine in our office (otherwise running great) will not export the model to an SSA file. I ran my workstation all night on Wednesday last week and on Thursday afternoon it was still hanging. It eventually just crashed and didnt ever export a file. My machine behaved the same way this morning. And our newest machine acquired two weeks ago has been hammering on it for the better part of the last two hours. Its the same behavior every time, it acts like it is exporting right out the gate, and a few minutes later it shows as not responding in the task manager and the C3D interface grays out.

I'm a very experienced C3D and moderately expercienced SSA user but haven't exported models quite this large. Im curious does anyone know a limit of what SSA will take or what C3D will export? Is there any quirks that cause C3D to hang up on export?

I have attached my system specs. We run C3D2013 SP1 on W7P machines with plenty of Ram. And I've never had this issue before and cant find any cases online. I had a fairly large storm project I was working on in April and May that was Maybe 35 structures and 50 pipes and everything ran just fine so I'm a bit confused. An engineer with significantly less C3D experience built the model, but I have reviewed it and it looks just like the models I do. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you. 

Matthew Wright, PE

TDH Engineering

Spokane, WA

Ps. Anyone have a super machine they want to try it on? 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

My apologies I mispoke. We are down to around 400 pipes, 200 manholes and 200 junction structures at this time.

Message 3 of 4
MattAndersonPE
in reply to: Anonymous

Does it export to STM?

Matt Anderson
Product Manager
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: MattAndersonPE

THanks for the response Matt. I had tried both the Edit in SSA and Export to Storm Sewers to create the .STM with no luck.

BUT AHA!

A fellow in another office helped us make some progress. Apparently we had some pipes with negative elevations that I missed during my review, that he found. As soon as we cleaned those up everything is working as intended I believe. 

The export and subsequent import didnt come in as nicely as I would have liked, apparently these style weve been using got fubared and SSA is interpreting a few parts a bit differerntly than I expected. 

Anyone have a great resource on C3D/SSA style compatability before I go randomly searching the internet?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report