Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zero Length line created - Not zero length

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
AllenJessup
626 Views, 1 Reply

Zero Length line created - Not zero length

This is just something that's bugging me but isn't really important. But it was important enough I had to figure it out.

I drew a line and the program said it was a zero length line but I can tell it wasn't:

LINE
Specify first point:
Specify next point or [Undo]: Zero length line created at (29079.661, 29450.046, 0.000)

Specify next point or [Undo]:

Command: LG

Select line: l
"0.00000000000364"

Yes. I can use lisp to measure a length that small. Why. I was trying to extend a line to an arc that should have been tangent but was missing the point on the arc. I now have an arc that hits the theo point within the distance above. More that good enough. But when I drew the line that I needed to tell me the distance I noticed it said it was zero length when I knew it wasn't. I'm thinking that the program either uses the current precision or 8 decimal places to make the determination.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
tcorey
in reply to: AllenJessup

Hello Allen,

When you create a line, AutoCAD assigns coordinates to the endpoints of the line. With coordinates of 20000+/-, that's five digits left of the decimal, leaving eleven to the right of the decimal. You have fourteen digits to the right of the decimal in the line length. Move down to 0,0 and you can use a line of that length.

Test it by creating a line whose first endpoint is 0,0 and whose length is 0.00000000000364. AutoCAD draws the line. Now try drawing it with first endpoint at 10000,10000. AutoCAD tells you Zero length line created at....

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report