Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xref Manager Slow Loading (No Xrefs attached)

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
rtweitpse
1774 Views, 7 Replies

Xref Manager Slow Loading (No Xrefs attached)

Currently experiencing a significant delay when attempting to open the XRef manager (about 2 minutes).  This occurrence happens as mentioned in both existing drawings with attached xrefs as well as new drawings with NO attached xrefs and only happens on initial fire up of the Xref manager during any given session.  Once in a given session and after the initial Xref manager load, all subsequent xref manager loads occur without any delay, however, once the current civil3d session has ended and the next starts the same issue begins all over again.

This issue does not appear to affect the speed at which loaded xrefs function just the loading of the XRef manager itself.

Currently using Civil3d 2014 with Serv. Pack 1 installed on a Windows 7 machine (64bit).

FILEDIA set to 1

XLOADCTL set to 2

Hopefully someone out there can weigh in on this one, completely stumped!

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
rkmcswain
in reply to: rtweitpse

Try your experiment again, but with one change: Before you open the Xref palette for the first time, unplug the network cable and make sure there are no Wifi or other network connections active.

Any change?

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 8
rtweitpse
in reply to: rkmcswain

rkmcswain,

Thank you for the quick response, unfortunately, I didn't seem to have any luck.  This issue has not been completely disabling but very frustrating.  I gave your recommendation a shot by first confirming what network access points my system was looking for and found that I had both our firms LAN as well as our firms public and Private WiFi networks active.  I reconnected to our firms LAN as well as deactivated all WiFi access on my machine, then restarted but no such luck.

Thanks Again.  I'll keep at this one.

Message 4 of 8
rtweitpse

Updated response to rkmcswain,

I believe I may have mis-interpreted your suggestion.  After re-reading your response to my issue I believe you had intended for me to completely disconnect from all network connections to test whether or not the problem may be a network related problem as opposed to a local problem.  I won't be able to test this theory out, though a very good thought, as we are on a network licence system and a Civil3d seat will not activate without network connectivity.  My initial interpretation of your response had me thinking the Xref manager was attempting to work through a much slower wifi network connection thus the slow response but that was a fail as well as mentioned in my previous post.

Still no luck.

Thanks

Message 5 of 8
rkmcswain

Try this:

Fire up C3D.
Open your drawing.
Disconnect all network connections.
Open the xref palette.

You should be able to do all that in a minute or so and C3D network licensed model won't stop or die w/o a network connection, since it only phones home every 10-15 minutes.
Message 6 of 8
rtweitpse

Bingo!

rkmcswain,

Not sure if your suggestion was intended to be a solution or or more of an investigation of sorts moving towards a solution but problem solved.  I am not an IT guy but have close to 10 years under my CAD belt and you learn something new everyday.  This little network-less trial must have "reset" how Civil3d was attempting to access the Xref manager (palette).  Please feel free to fill in with the how or why this worked as I mentioned before I am not an IT guy but am very curious if it is a somewhat simple response.

I intend to keep an eye on this for a while and will respond with any further complications.

Good work and Thank You!

Message 7 of 8
rkmcswain

It was just a test. I have found over the years that if AutoCAD (via the O/S) is looking for a network resource that it can't find, it will search for an inordinate amount of time. But, if the O/S knows there are no network connections, it won't search at all and tell AutoCAD to move on (more or less...)

So by disabling all network connections, you are bypassing the lengthy search that the O/S is doing. When I want to find out what it is that causing the delay, I'll use the process described here.

Message 8 of 8
rtweitpse

Yes.  Following running through the process on my machine I began to move through all our firms machines and it began to become pretty apparent that additional inactive Network cards or wireless networks were really the root problem.  Once those drives were disabled and we were left with only our primary network the problem was solved.  Your mention of the lengthy search the o/s was preforming on inactive networks then moving on to the next just confirms my suspicion.

Thanks Again

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report