Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xref labels not dynamic

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
1071 Views, 4 Replies

Xref labels not dynamic

I am experiencing an issue with the labels and tags for xrefs.  I am labelling lines and curves of an xref.  I am able to create a table and everything works fine.  However, when I edit the source drawing, the curve and line labels disappear and any information that referenced them in a table also disappears.  The Help menu says it should be updating dynamically and I know others operating civil 3d 2011 who are using this feature.  Has anyone experienced this problem?  If so did you find a remedy?  Thanks.

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Jeff_M
in reply to: Anonymous

I had one drawing do that in C3D2010. I ended up labeling in the xref. Crazy thing was, I sent the drawing to 2 other users and to Autodesk support....they could see the labels just fine, but no matter which PC I used (out of the 3 I had installed C3D on) I never saw those labels again.

Since then I've done this with many other projects without a problem. So I never did figure out what triggered that one drawing to behave that way.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Jeff_M

Unfortunately, this problem isn't in just one sheet or project.  Even if I create a new drawing with a new xref the problem persists.  I also had a co-worker try it out on his machine with a completely different drawing and he experienced the same issue. 

Message 4 of 5
Sinc

In my experience, deleting and recreating linework causes the labels to disappear.  If you just move linework, the labels should stay, and update to the new values.

"Deleting and recreating linework" includes joining lines and arcs into polylines, or exploding polylines into lines and arcs.  Labels will also be missing from one of the remaining pieces if you BREAK a polyline.  Likewise, editing a polyline (adding or removing vertices) will tend to cause labels to jump onto an adjacent segment, and no longer label the correct segment of the polyline.

Some recommend that you don't use polylines, as a partial solution to this problem.  But avoiding polylines introduces its own problems and headaches.  So there is no really good solution in many cases, except to muddle through as best you can.

Sinc
Message 5 of 5
nicktaylor2698

Did you ask your office-mates?  Michael Melder would know. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report