Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XREF labels disappearing

63 REPLIES 63
Message 1 of 64
seattlesurvey
8409 Views, 63 Replies

XREF labels disappearing

I have read a few posts about others having this happen.  I'm trying to get a handle on what should and should not be expected to work as far as labeling XREF'd entities goes.  I'm using 2011.

I have recently had bearing notes associated with an XREF'd line disappear, and I can't pinpoint the cause.

I had edited a couple of lines in said XREF'd drawing, but NOT the one that was associated with the C3D notes.  There are two C3D drawings that XREF this drawing and that have line labels applied to the same, unchanged, line.  Yet, all of those labels were gone (in both drawings) when I opened them this morning.

So, should labeling an XREF'd entity work?  Are labels predicably lost when a labeled line undergoes a known set of modifications (Sinc relayed his experiences here:  http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/Xref-labels-not-dynamic/m-p/2886718/highlight/true#M1...

What if the XREF'd drawing is simply saved, with no changes made to a labeled line?  Should that be okay?

If labeling XREF's is known to be unpredictable, it sort of puts us back to manual text labels and manual curve tables.  Is that really what people are having to do?

Thanks for your comments.

63 REPLIES 63
Message 41 of 64
Anonymous
in reply to: seattlesurvey

This is not a problem anymore on Civil 3D 2017 with SP1. It will be a problem if you have mixed environment with some users with native 2017, and some users with SP1.

NB: the latest update brings you to SP1.1, also not a problem.

Message 42 of 64
baldema
in reply to: Anonymous

That is great news! Since this will be the last project I have in C3D 2015, and plan on using 2017 going forward, it shouldn't be a problem for me.

Message 43 of 64
JimsTools

And the problem is back... Using C3D 2019.1 Update and corruption occurs when the following is true:

1. Tag lines or curves from an Xref.
  2. Create a Table.
  3. Reload an Xref (doesn't even have to be the one that is labeled).

All three have to happen. To work around the issue, once you create a table in your drawing, do not RELOAD any XREF. If you need to reload, save the drawing, close, and reopen.

So glad Autodesk fixed this issue, then broke it again...

Jim Smith
Message 44 of 64
FatherOfRune
in reply to: JimsTools

I can confirm, a client of mine is experiencing this problem again as well. 2019.1 XREF Tag's broken again.

Message 45 of 64

I to am experiencing this issue. I have losted my labels serval times and it is very frustrating. Can someone please fix this, Thank you

Message 46 of 64
gregsmith56
in reply to: SROBERTS-2017

Yes. Also experiencing this issue (again). At least I'm sure Autodesk must know how to fix it again. I just hope it doen't take them too much longer.

Message 47 of 64
three_dogs
in reply to: gregsmith56

We are having the same issues with labels for parcels on the file xref'ed in to our plats.

Message 48 of 64
RWui
in reply to: JimsTools

We are experiencing the same.

Latest updates installed:

Civil 3D 2019.1

AutoCAD 2019.1.2

Opened a case # 1455565 and it was sent to devs case # CIVIL-22056, which means I will probably never hear back until an actual patch or update is released. 

Please submit your own cases and you're welcome to refer to my case numbers - this really needs to be fixed!

@JimsTools wrote:

And the problem is back... Using C3D 2019.1 Update and corruption occurs when the following is true:

1. Tag lines or curves from an Xref.
  2. Create a Table.
  3. Reload an Xref (doesn't even have to be the one that is labeled).

All three have to happen. To work around the issue, once you create a table in your drawing, do not RELOAD any XREF. If you need to reload, save the drawing, close, and reopen.

So glad Autodesk fixed this issue, then broke it again...

Message 49 of 64
donovani
in reply to: RWui

Has there been any update or fix on this issue?

Thanks!

Message 50 of 64
SROBERTS-2017
in reply to: donovani

I am very sorry to say I have not gotten any updates from Autodesk, nor have I found a fix for this.

Message 51 of 64
mike
in reply to: RWui

We submitted a case referencing this case number, and received a call from autodesk, indicating it was a known issue, has been sent on the line and won't be contacted again other than when the issue is resolved. No timeline provided, so it does not seem like a priority to the dev team to resolve. When I told them this was delaying my company wide deployment of the 2019 product, they suggested going to the 2018 product instead. Pretty disappointing. And I feel like because they have moved everyone to subscription, they have weakened the end users rights.  

Message 52 of 64
Goody1977
in reply to: mike

Yes there are other Civil 3D issues that I swear are engineered to waste your time.
For instance why go to the trouble of building and using 3d Alignment and grading labels if they just go dormant, and stop reading your surface for not apparent reason at all.
As well as the when your project loses it's Data References, and all of your Civil 3D labels just disappear like they were never there.
Apparently, they just don't have a lot of respect for the tight time lines that this industry comes with.
Maybe we should form a class actions suit for making us old before our time.

Message 53 of 64
Anonymous
in reply to: Goody1977

We have this exact same issue on Civil 3D 2018. 

Message 54 of 64
mike

Thanks for this input. Autodesk suggested that since this issue was holding up our deployment of 2019, that we might entertain the idea of upgrading to 2018 instead. Glad we did not waste our efforts there.

Message 55 of 64
gbondoc
in reply to: mike

Bump this back to the top. Installed latest updates and tested.

Still not fixed!

Product version: 13.0.1175.0 Civil 3D 2019.2 Update

Built on:               P.162.0.0 AutoCAD 2019.1.2

22.0.022.16 Autodesk AutoCAD Map 3D 2019.0.1 Update

8.1.48.0 AutoCAD Architecture 2019

Message 56 of 64
thejac
in reply to: gbondoc

We are also having this same issue. We had the issue in C3D 2018 with all updates installed, and migrated to C3D 2019 and also have this issue with all updates installed as of 1/30/2019. Autodesk please prioritize critical bugs like these and create hotfixes rather than making us wait for service packs, and give us progress so that we know a fix is coming at least, even if you can't give a specific date. This is bad customer service.

Jesse Cook
The Land Group, Inc.
www.thelandgroupinc.com
Message 57 of 64
donovani
in reply to: thejac

I heard the following from Autodesk back on 11/29/18:

"The development team started working on a tech assessment last night (Defect ID is CIVIL-22056).

• The case has been split into two issues
    • While qsave, there will be an error dialog pops up to tell you run RECOVER on the drawing.
    • When reopen the drawing that has the error, all the label added to the Xref will disappear.
  • We are able to reproduce both in several releases/updates of Civil 3D (this is key)."

Will provide more updates as I get them. Hopefully this can get resolved quickly.

Thank you,

Ian

Message 58 of 64
donovani

More detailed information from Autodesk all:

“Regarding CaseNo:14799212, our development team has isolated the issue, which was introduced and subsequently fixed by the ACA team.  They integrated the fix into Civil 3D 2018.3 build 1423.0 on 1/10.  As of now we are targeting the release of 2018.3 for late February or early March.  There are a few options for delivering this fix to the customer.  We confirm its fixed and ask the customer to wait for the release of 2018.3, we can update the futures portal with a new 2018.3 beta for the customer to trial or we can distribute the loose files directly.  Distributing loose files can be problematic so its best we do not distribute them unless it is absolutely necessary.”

Please reach out to me if you would like to get the beta and I'll see what I can do...

Ian Donovan

iand@theppigroup.com

503-231-1576

PPI Group, a Topcon Solutions Store

Message 59 of 64
thejac

Thank you for the info, that is greatly appreciated. We are now on Civil 3D 2019. Do you have any information on when an update will be available for that version? If it is the same case, I am comfortable with loose files and manually installing them if necessary.

Jesse Cook
The Land Group, Inc.
www.thelandgroupinc.com
Message 60 of 64
donovani
in reply to: thejac

Hi Jesse,

I am told once the fix comes out for 2018.3 that it will also be applicable to the 2019 version. Time-frame for public hot fix release is Late February/March 2019.

-Ian

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report