Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XREF'ing DGN

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
scohen
1127 Views, 8 Replies

XREF'ing DGN

Hi All. 

Has anyone else encountered this issue (see the att.image).  If I attach a DGN and choose subunits, it brings it in at the correct location and units, however, there are some dimensions in the DGN file, and they show up in the AutoCAD file, however, it scales up the dimension display by 12.  Yet, in the DGN file, its displayed correctly.  Why would AutoCAD not just display the dimensions as is?

Thank you in advance.

-Seth Cohen

Tags (2)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Neilw_05
in reply to: scohen

If the DGN subunits is inches, would that not make the dimensions show in inches? What happens if you attach using Master units?

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 3 of 9
scohen
in reply to: Neilw_05

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the response (and on Thanksgiving 🙂

I wouldn’t think so.  If I bring it in with Master, it brings it in 12 times larger (of course), but the dimensions still state the same as with sub.  Again, why in the heck should it display something different them whats in the DGN?  If I bind it, then explode it, it immediately displays the correct dimensions.

Also, I just tried the MAPIMPORT command and I just noticed that there is no way to select a model in the DGN file (that stinks).

Thanks.

-Seth Cohen

Message 4 of 9
Neilw_05

I haven't used DGN underlays to any exent so I don't know how it is supposed to work, but I wonder if it is related to the dimension style used in the DGN. If it is the Standard dim style then it may be that the Autocad standard dimstyle is a factor.

If you can post your DGN I might get a chance to play with it. I have both ustn and Autocad here.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 5 of 9
Neilw_05

This may be the problem.

In Ustn the dimension style has the option to use the units setting of the design file OR the units can be fixed by the dimstyle independent of the design file. In the latter case apparently Autocad does not recognize the override and applies the units that are set in the design file.

Thus for example, if in ustn the dim style has Master Units set to feet and Sub Units set to inches, the dimensions will display as feet and inches even if MU are inches and SU are inches in the design file. When this file is xref'd into Autocad using subunits, it displays the dimensions as inches according to the units of the design file, not feet and inches according to the units in the dim style. Hope that makes sense.

From your screen captures it appears you have ustn. If so you can investigate your file to see if this is what is happening.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 6 of 9
scohen

Well, thanks for looking into it Neill; I appreciate it.  I had already done some playing around with the dimension styles in MicroStation, but no matter what I did, nothing would change in AutoCAD.

Just kinda weird....

Thanks.

-Seth Cohen

Message 7 of 9
Neilw_05

The way to change it is to change the dimstyle in ustn to use the design file units. Then set the design file units the way you want them to be in when XREF'sd imto Autcad. That worked for me. If you want to post your file I can give it a try and see what happens.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 8 of 9
scohen

Hi Neil,

That’s fine and all, but if someone doesn’t have MicroStation, how would they know what was really going on in the DGN file?  This was actually a support request that I received from one of my clients, and I was more interested in why the heck is AutoCAD not displaying EXACTLY what is displayed in the DGN file.  It's just odd that Autodesk would have AutoCAD convert the units of the dimensions to sub units when there is no need to.  This would definitley make a user have some doubts as to how they brought the file in.

Thanks again for taking the time to look into it, I’ll probably submit a TR to Autodesk.  Hope you have a good weekend.

-Seth Cohen

Message 9 of 9
Neilw_05

Yes it does need to be corrected on the ADESK end.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report